M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
White and Thompson No. 2
In June, 1912, the partnership of White and Thompson was constituted as a limited company under the title of White and Thompson, Co. Ltd. Their second product was a side-by-side two-seat pusher biplane designed by Norman A. Thompson and constructed during 1913. The 120 h.p. A.B.C. engine was mounted in the centre of the all-steel chassis, and drove a three-bladed propeller through an extension shaft. An unusual feature of the No. 2 was that the ailerons on the upper wings were made of sheet fibre.
The machine was flown in turn by Flt. Lt. E. R. Whitehouse, R.N., Lt. R. L. Charteris, R.F.C., and Lt. J. C. Porte, R.N., and proved to be quite successful, taking off well and flying fairly fast. Norman Thompson flew it also until it was overturned by Lt. Porte early in 1914. Owing to the company's pre-occupation with the Curtiss type of flying-boat for which White and Thompson had secured the exclusive rights in Great Britain, it was decided that the No. 2 was not worth rebuilding.