Книги

Putnam
P.Lewis
British Aircraft 1809-1914
436

P.Lewis - British Aircraft 1809-1914 /Putnam/

Bristol Scout A prototype on display at the 1914 Olympia Aero Show.
Bristol Scout A prototype after fitting with 24 ft. 7 ins. span wings and circular cowling.
The extremely business-looking 80 h.p. Bristol Scout. Note the method of carrying the shield all round tie engine.
Lord John Carbery's Bristol Scout A prototype, fitted with 80 h.p. le Rhone, at the start of the London-Paris-London Race on 11th July, 1914.
Avro 504 prototype which F. P. Raynham flew into fourth place at 66,5 mph during second Aerial Derby on 20th September, 1913, shown at Hendon with inversely-tapered, warping ailerons.
Avro 504 prototype flown in modified form in 1914 Daily Mail tour.
Daily Mail Tour Avro 504 prototype at Paignton, Devon, in April 1914, with F. P. Raynham and George Lusted, rebuilt as a seaplane with rounded cowlings and constant chord ailerons.
Production Avro 504 on 29th July, 1914.
Production Vickers F.B.5 with rectangular tailplane.
B.E.2 with Geoffrey de Havilland in the cockpit.
Experimental B.E.2a with oleo undercarriage and modified struts
B.E.2a No. 601 with experimental fins above wings and with modified tail.
The B.E.2b, the second Royal Aircraft Factory type to be built at Gosforth.
Avro Type 503 seaplane at Shoreham in 1913 (at Brighton after acceptance tests in June, 1913 ???).
Powered by a 100hp Gnome, the Avro Type H, or 503, derived from the Avro 501 floatplane and made its first flight on 28 May 1913. Ironically this particular machine was bought by the German Navy and is seen undergoing their acceptance trials at Worthing, Sussex in June 1913. An additional three examples were built, all for the British Admiralty. Top level speed of this two-seater floatplane was 64mph at sea level. Incidentally, many of the Type H's features were to find their way into the later Gotha WD-1.
Bristol Improved T.B.8 with ailerons for R.N.A.S.
Handley Page G in ils early form with undercarriage skids and with single cockpit for tandem seats.
Mr. W. Rowland Ding in the pilot's cockpit of the modified Handley Page G at Hendon.
Handley Page G in 1914 with extended fairing under fuselage.
QUALIFYING FOR ROYAL AIR SERVICE AT HENDON. - An Anzani-engined Handley-Page in waiting.
Handley Page G demonstrating its stability by flying without a tailplane.
A production standard B.E.8, built at Farnborough, with a triangular fin, divided cockpits, and an 80hp Gnome engine.
CENTRAL FLYING SCHOOL, UPAVON, 1914. - A B.E. 8 of A Flight, with air-mechanics in attendance, tuning up before a cross-country flight.
R.E.5 with 120 h.p. Austro-Daimler.
The S.E.4 with its original tripod undercarriage outside the Factory compound.
The S.E.4 with its later vee undercarriage.
Short S.38 with G.R.W. wheel-float beaching gear.
The sole side-by-side two seat Sopwith Trainer, serial no 149 of 1914, reputedly built specifically for the young, air-minded First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston S. Churchill. Powered by an 80hp Gnome, later replaced by a 100hp rotary of the same make, this aircraft has been referred to in various Sopwith records as being both the Sociable and the Churchill.
Sopwith Tabloid with modified undercarriage for racing.
The Handley Page monoplane which has been partly reconstructed for the use of pupils at the Beatty Flying School, Hendon. Note the new type chassis which has taken the place of the original central skid type with which the machine was previously fitted. Another alteration has been effected by shortening the fuselage.
The reconstructed Handley Page H.P.5 E, piloted by E. R. Whitehouse to win the Marquis of Anglesey Cup at Burton-on-Trent on 5 August, 1913.
Hon. C. S. Rolls making a cross-country flight from Shellbeach to Eastchurch on 21st December, 1909, with the first Short-Wright Biplane.
AERO SHOW AT OLYMPIA. - Captain Windham's Pischoff flyer seen from in front. One of the righting planes, which are mounted midway up the outside stays, is clearly visible. The rudder, which should be between the planes of the rear tail, is not shown.
Cody British Army Aeroplane No. 1 in its early form.
Cody British Army Aeroplane No. 1 with biplane tail and without ailerons.
Cody British Army Aeroplane No. 1 with ailerons and with front rudder in foremost position.
Lamplough ornithopter appeared incomplete at the Olympia Aero Show in March 1909.
Avro No. I Triplane with 9 h.p. J.A.P.
A.V.Roe flying his No.1 Triplane at Lea Marshes in 1909.
Avro Bullseye Triplane at 1909 Blackpool Meeting.
Avro No. I Triplane with 24 h.p. Antoinette at Wembley.
OLYMPIA, 1910. - The first Roe II triplane "Mercury" at the Olympia Aero Show, London, in March 1910 in its initial form with warping wings. The main planes and the tail planes are pivoted so that the pilot can alter their angles of incidence in flight.
Warwick Wright's Monoplane at the 1910 Olympia Aero Show. Howard Wright monoplane 1910 type had a Bleriot-type tail and ENV engine.
Rear view of Mr. Eugene Gratze's Machine. - The elevating is done by the central portion of the small upper plane in conjunction with the balancing flaps on the front edge of the main plane.
Star Monoplane as originally constructed.
Star Monoplane in its early form.
The "Mayfly" in its original form as a glider, soaring in a 12,m.p.h. breeze.
Modified Bland Mayfly being tested by towing as a glider.
AVIS MONOPLANE. - View from in front.
Hon. A. R. Boyle's Howard Wright Avis at the 1910 Bournemouth Meeting.
OLYMPIA, 1910. - A light-weight monoplane of the Santos Dumont "Demoiselle" type exhibited by Mann and Overton.
OLYMPIA, 1910. - A characteristic feature of the Zodiac biplane, exhibited by the British and Colonial Aeroplane Co., is the flatness of the camber in the main decks.
The sole Zodiac Biplane completed by the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company and shown at the Olympia Aero Show.
Dunne D5 showing the shape of the swept wing.
Howard Wright's first monoplane of 1909, built for W.E. Cooke of Burnley, Lancashire, was not a success. W. E. Cooke and daughter seated in the monoplane on the race track at Brunshaw, BurnIe, before its first public demonstration.
MR. H. G. FERGUSON'S IRISH-BUILT MONOPLANE. - This photograph was taken in Masserene Park, Antrim, on the shores of Lough Neagh, after a successful essay by Mr. Ferguson. It will be noticed that the Automobile Association's well-known "A.A." badge adorns the prow of the machine. The four central figures are, from left to right, Mr. John Brown, the first Irishman to own and run a motor car in Ireland; Mr. H. Ferguson, the builder of the machine Mr. T. C. Percy, J.P.; and Mr. Francis Wilde, the Assistant Secretary of the A.A.
Dunne-Huntington Triplane. The first version at Eastchurch in 1910 with Wolseley engine, four wheels and skid undercarriage.
Dunne-Huntington Triplane with revised three-wheel undercarriage and interplane fins.
Grose and Feary monoplane, built by apprentices at Windham's works at Clapham Junction, was tested at Oakington, Cambridgeshire, in 1910.
Neale 6 Monoplane in original form with 24 h.p. E.N.V.
Neale VI monoplane flown at Brooklands in 1910 was reconstructed from the earlier machine.
Neale 6 Monoplane rebuilt and fitted with 20 h.p. J.A.P.
Mr. J. V. Neale's new monoplane with which he is at present practising at Brooklands.
Day monoplane built by a member of the Hampshire Aero Club in 1909-1910.
Mr. S. F. Cody flying over Laffan's Plain on his modified biplane last week, before the serious accident which befel him later. Mr. Cody, who uses a Green engine, employs only one propeller now.
Cody Michelin Cup Biplane in its first form with 60 h.p. Green.
MR. ALEXANDER THIERSCH'S EXPERIMENTAL MONOPLANE. - The planes have been constructed by Mr. Handley Page to the design of Mr. Thiersch. The propellers are of French make.
Thiersch monoplane was partly built by Handley Page and was tested on Erith Marshes in 1910.
The Portway monoplane of 1910 was a Demoiselle variant built at Bromley.
"MERCURY," THE SINGLE-SEATER MONOPLANE OF THE BLACKBURN AEROPLANE CO., LEEDS. - These machines are now at work at the Blackburn Flying School, Filey, under the supervision of Mr B C Hucks, who has been With Mr. Grahame-White for nearly a year, and was with him on his American tour. Mr. Hucks has been making some excellent flights on this particular machine.
The Second Blackburn Monoplane at Filey in 1911 with 40 h.p. Isaacson, wing tip skids and the second undercarriage modification.
50 h.p. Gnome Blackburn Mercury at Filey, showing full-chord wing-roots.
Third place in the Aero Show Trophy race at Hendon on 22 February, 1913, was gained by Harold Blackburn with the Blackburn Mercury used as No. 33 at the Blackburn Flying School at Hendon.
Aeroplane at Hendon during the Naval and Military Aviation Day held on 28th September, 1912.
Bush glider No.3 of 1910 built by the three Bush brothers.
The inherently stable Dunne D1A glider at Blair Atholl in the Scottish highlands being manhandled onto the launching trolley (being prepared for flight at Glen Tilt in 1907).
Dunne D.4 at Blair Atholl in 1908. The Dunne D4 biplane was built by mounting the D1 glider on a four-wheeled chassis which also incorporated the pilot's position.
The steel tubing chassis constructed in the Army Balloon Factory during September, 1907, shown complete with 25 h.p. R.E.P., and used to convert the D.1 into the D.4.
Seddon tandem biplane with a structure of tubular rings at Wolverhampton in 1910. The machine was too heavy and did not fly.
A half side view of the new 3-seater "Valkyrie" at Hendon with Horatio Barber.
The Valkyrie with which Horatio Barber flew the first aerial cargo, a consignment of Osram lamps for Page and Miles Ltd., of Brighton, on 4th July, 1911, from Shoreham to Hove.
Howard Wright Biplane with 50 h.p. Gnome and broad-chord ailerons.
Roe IV Triplane. The last of AV Roe's triplanes first flew in September 1910.
The Glider of the Bristol and West of England Aero Club in practice on the Club's gliding hill.
Everett Edgcumbe Monoplane with original undercarriage.
Everett Edgcumbe Monoplane after modification of undercarriage.
Weiss tractor monoplane No.2 'Sylvia' was tested at Brooklands in 1910-1911.
The Weiss Tractor Monoplane No. 2 in flight at Brooklands under the pilotage of Mr. Eric England (E. C. Gordon England) last Saturday.
The biplane, with which Mr. Carter has been experimenting at Salisbury Plain during the last fortnight, as seen from in front.
C. Compton Paterson about to take off on his Grahame-White Baby.
HENDON-BROOKLANDS-HENDON. - Mr. Martin getting ready for his return to Hendon. A fresh "arrival" - just in sight - momentarily stops operations.
J. V. Martin standing in the Grahame-White Baby at Brooklands on 11 March, 1911 before flying back to Hendon during the return race staged between the two aerodromes.
Grahame-White Baby modified with simplified tail, single undercarriage wheels, revised tail booms, engine cowling ring and without fore-elevator.
Hammond triplane. This was Hammond's second attempt at flight at Brooklands in 1911.
Extensions to the upper wings were fitted to the Bristol Boxkite No. 16 with 60 h.p. E.N.V., flown by C. H. Pixton in conjunction with an Avro D to win the 1911 Manville Prize.
Bristol Boxkite No.44 with single-bay wings. One of several variants built for racing.
E.C.Gordon England flying a Bristol Boxkite at Ventnor, Isle of Wight, following his trip from Shoreham on 5th July, 1911.
The Martin-Handasyde 4B monoplane. A typical example of the Antoinette type, but full of original detail in design.
View of the partially finished Cole tandem monoplane, showing one of the wings folded.
The boat-like body of the Kny aeroplane, built by Mulliner's of Long Acre and Northampton. Apart from this characteristic feature the most important structural detail is the method of swivelling the wings and depressing the leading edge so as to alter their attitude and camber simultaneously.
View showing the fish-like body on the Handley Page monoplane.
The Bristol Grandseigne racing biplane which was wrecked on its first flight at Larkhill in April 1911.
Avro D at Brooklands with F. P. Raynham in the cockpit and S. V. Sippe alongside.
W. D. Beatty, with Conway Jenkins as passenger, in the Avro D during March, 1911.
Modified Avro D at Brooklands flown by Ronald Kemp in 1911 Circuit of Britain.
The first Avro D Hydro-biplane equipped with original floats at Barrow for seaplane trials.
Avro D Hydro-biplane at Cavendish Dock with replacement floats by Vickers.
Scottish Aviation Co. Caledonia monoplane flown at Barrhead near Glasgow in 1911.
Star Monoplane in its final form.
Collyns P.Pizey leaving the cockpit of the Bristol Improved Type T No. 52 racing biplane at Hendon during the 1911 Daily Mail Circuit of Britain.
Bristol Boxkite Improved Type T No. 52 for 1911 Daily Mail Circuit of Britain.
Short fuselage Bristol Prier Monoplane No. 73 with C. H. Pixton in rear cockpit.
Bristol Prier Monoplane No. 73 used in wireless experiments at Hendon during 1912.
Single-seat Bristol Prier Monoplane used at the Larkhill school.
Bristol-Prier-Dickson Monoplane long fuselage two-seater No. 82 with fixed tailplane.
James Valentine piloting a Bristol Prier Monoplane.
S. F. Cody flying his 1911 Circuit of Britain Biplane at Hendon.
Eardley Billing's biplane in flight at Brooklands.
Short S.39 Triple Twin with extended upper wings.
Walton-Edwards Colossoplane. This huge biplane made mainly straight flights at Brooklands towards the end of 1911.
Dunne D.8 with 80 h.p. Gnome.
Messrs. Forbes and Arnold's full-sized machine which they have built as the result of successful experiments with their models.
Viking 1 modified with floats and single propeller.
Lakes Waterhen was later fitted with twin floats and a nacelle.
Prototype Short T.5 in January, 1912, with Capt. E. L. Gerrard in the front cockpit and Oswald Short in the rear.
Short T.5, flown by Lt. S. D. A. Grey, taking-off at Margate on 30th May, 1912.
Bleriot type Caledonia monoplane at the Scottish Aviation Co.'s Barrhead flying grounds.
Wing-warping illustrated by the Avro F.
Ronald Kemp piloting Oscar Gnosspelius's second hydro-monoplane on Lake Windermere.
COW biplane No.11. The second machine for the Military Trials with the unsatisfactory Chenu engine.
Blackburn Type E. Military monoplane of 1912.
Three-quarter front view of No. 7 monoplane with three-bladed propeller.
CODY MONOPLANE. - Three-quarter view from the front.
Flanders B.2 with 60 h.p. Isaacson.
Flanders B.2 as built for 1912 Military Trials and awaiting its A.B.C. engine.
Bristol Coanda Improved Military Monoplane.
Bristol Coanda Military Trials Monoplane without fin.
Bristol G.E.2 being prepared for flight at Larkhill.
Bristol G.E.2 flown by E. C. Gordon England in the 1912 Military Trials.
Martin-Handasyde Military Trials Monoplane with 90 h.p. Chenu.
Martin-Handasyde Military Trials Monoplane re-engined with 120 h.p. Austro-Daimler.
Avro G being tuned up following rebuilding during the Military Trials.
Making the B.E3 ready at Hendon after handover to the RFC for Lt. A.G.Fox's take-off on 21st September, 1913.
Lt. A. G. Fox taking-off at Hendon in the B.E.3 on 21st September, 1913.
RAF B.E.4 No. 204 was structurally identical to the B.E.3.
Vickers No.VIII monoplane in the works at Erith. It had side-by-side seating and a 70 or 80hp Gnome engine.
Jezzi biplane No.2 as first flown uncovered and as a sesquiplane.
Prototype of Flanders F.4 Military Monoplane.
Flanders F.4 with 70 h.p. Renault at Brooklands.
Flanders F.4 No. 281 with tapered wings for R.F.C.
R.F.C. Flanders F.4 No. 439 with constant-chord wings.
Modified Flanders F.4 at Hendon Naval and Military Aviation Day on 28th September 1912.
The longspan version of the Megone biplane in 1913-1914.
THE 35-h.p. GRAHAME-WHITE BIPLANE. - Three-quarter front view.
GW Type VII was acquired for the RFC as No.283 in 1913.
This photograph ot the 90-h.p. Grahame-White Type 6 military biplane gives a good idea of the intricacy of its internal construction. The finely-constructed framework showing the extension shaft from the engine to the propeller chain drive, and the upper tail-boom through which passed the tail-unit control wire.
Avro Type E (500) with Gnome engine, wheels on outriggers at wingtips and alternative rudder. March 1913..
F. P. Raynham at Hendon with Avro 500 fitted with inversely-tapered ailerons.
Laurence Hall at Hendon with his Avro 500.
Avro 500 with 50 h.p. Gnome.
Avro 500 fitted with twin skids and large wheels.
M. F. Glew with the 1912 Blackburn Single-seat Monoplane.
1912 Blackburn Single-seat Monoplane rebuilt and photographed at Brough in 1953.
Radley-England Waterplane 1 on temporary wheel undercarriage at Portholme.
Embodying several novel features, the Radley-England Waterplane of 1913 had twin hulls and was powered by three 50hp Gnome rotaries with chain drives to a single overhead propeller shaft.
The power plant designed by E.C.Gordon England for the Radley-England Waterplane I, consisting of three 50 h.p. Gnome engines coupled to a single shaft.
E.C.Gordon England in the Radley-England Waterplane I off the South Coast.
G. M. Dyott in the cockpit of his Dyott Monoplane at Hendon.
A three-quarter view of the E.A.C monoplane from the front.
Lakes Seabird was later fitted with twin floats.
The Grahame-White Charabanc fitted with Austro-Daimler engine at Hendon with Claude Grahame-White in the front cockpit and the machine's designer, J. D. North, second from the left.
Mechanic taking a ride on the lower wings of the Grahame-White Charabanc being taxied by Louis Noel at Hendon.
W. Newell about to ascend in the Grahame-White Charabanc for a parachute jump over Hendon.
Grahame-White Boxkite with twin rudders.
L. A. Strange with the Grahame-White Lizzie in 1914 after the extended lower wings had been fitted.
EAC military biplane of 1914 was exhibited at Olympia.
F. P. Raynham taking-off at Hendon in the Avro Arrowscout on 23rd May, 1914.
Vickers 1914 tractor scout biplane, a clean design, but abandoned in favour of Gunbus development.
The 50 h.p. Gnome tractor biplane built by the Eastbourne Aviation Co., Ltd., to the order of Mr. R. E. B. Hunt, who is seen in the pilot's seat. This machine was designed by Mr. E. L. Gassier and has been flown both by Mr. Hunt and by Mr. Gassier.
Modified Watson No. 2 in flight at Errol, Perthshire, 1912.
R.E. I No. 607 in its original form.
Martin-Handasyde Transatlantic under construction at Brooklands.
The Type L seaplane under construction in the disused skating rink which was to become the great Olympia Works.
The Lakes (NAC) monoplane with twin floats and other changes.
Waterplane of the Northern Aircraft Co. at their school on Lake Windermere. The N.A.C. "Pusher" monoplane, Mr. Rowland Ding being seen standing in the nacelle.
A. V. Roe and his first aeroplane in his hed at Brooklands in 1908.
Avro Biplane I with 9 h.p. J.A.P. at Brooklands.
A. V. Roe working on the Roe I biplane after it had been fitted with a 24 h.p. eight cylinder Antoinette engine. AV Roe may have flown on this, his first machine, after fitting an Antoinette engine in 1908, but not officially.
Sir George Cayley's 1849 triplane glider flown briefly with light loads.
A sketch made by Cayley in 1853, depicting his boy-carrying triplane glider. Note the propulsive flappers and the pilot-operated cruciform tail unit aft of the car. The tail unit attached to the wings was not moveable.
Anderson & Singer glider. A 1911 amateur-built Chanute-type glider. Flight 21 October 1911 (p.923).
The Barnwell brothers built this unsuccessful biplane in 1908.
Bristol G.E.I with original fin and rudder.
The Bristol Coanda Hydro-biplane floating off Cowes in March, 1913.
Bristol T.B.8 Hydro-biplane shown at Dale during July, 1913, in its original form. The prototype converted to a seaplane.
Original version of Bristol Burney X.2 monoplane Works No.92 of 1912 being constructed at Hilton.
Modified Bristol Burney X.2 slung from derrick at Dale.
Stimulated by work in Italy Lt C. D. Burney, R.N., persuaded the British and Colonial Aeroplane Co..Ltd. to undertake a design and development programme for aircraft havIng hydrofoil undercarriages. In the picture the Bristol Burney X.2 in modified form hydroplaning under tow at Dale.
Bush Motorplane No.9 a two-seater version of No.8 which did not fly.
Cody Military Trials Biplane.
Collyer-England Biplane in 1911 with 30 h.p, Alvaston.
Collyer-England Biplane with 35 h.p. Green and modified undercarriage, at Shoreham on 3rd April, 1912.
CoIIyer-Lang monoplane. Collyer's first machine of 1910 before he teamed up with BH England.
Creese-Dederich monoplane at Blackpool in 1909. Creese in the cockpit and Dederich by the propeller.
Davies glider No.l built in 1911 at Dudley.
Edgar glider built in 1913 by Norman Edgar of the Bristol and West of England Aero Club.
Gnosspelius hydro-biplane was flown for a short time only in 1913.
Hill monoplane built by a firm in Bury, Lancashire, was based on the Bleriot XI.
The Humber biplane, with the sloping panels to give improved lateral stability. These panels can be controlled by wires to steer and balance the machine.
A LANE-FARMAN BIPLANE FOR A MAHARAJAH. - The above machine has been taken out to India by Mr. C. W. Bowles for His Highness the Maharajah of Patiala. Writing from Port Said, en route, Mr. Bowles says: "After taking lessons at Lane's Flying School at Brooklands, I have purchased the above Lane-Farman, with 60-80-h.p. E.N.V. engine, for His Highness the Maharajah of Patiala. The photo was taken at its first trials with myself up in the pilot's seat.
The Mines biplane was present at the Blackpool Meeting in October 1909 but did not achieve flight.
The Molesworth-Hughes triplane was modified from the Mackenzie-Hughes Britannia but failed to fly on test at Brooklands in 1911.
Moore-Brabazon biplane. The glider was modified and fitted with an engine by Howard Wright. The undercarriage failed on test on the Finishing Straight at Brooklands.
Mumford helicopter built at Denny Bros, shipyard achieved tethered flight in 1913.
Neale monoplane at Brooklands in 1910. This was much changed from the Blackpool version and made a number of straight flights in December 1909 and later.
Ottino & Wyllie direct lift machine was exhibited at Olympia in March 1910.
The F.E.2 in its original condition with biplane tail and unbalanced ailerons after reconstruction of F.E.1.
The R.E.2 No.17 as originally built, with B.E.3-type rudder and 70hp Renault engine.
R.E.2 No. 17 after reversion to landplane from H.R.E.2.
The S.E.2 on the edge of Farnborough Common, with Geoffrey de Havilland in the cockpit.
F. K. McClean's modified Short S.33 (a dual control seaplane version of the S.27 type) at the Thames Embankment after his flight up the river on 10th August, 1912. S.43-S.44 were similar but landplanes.
Aeroplane at Hendon during the Naval and Military Aviation Day held on 28th September, 1912.
Sopwith special torpedo seaplane Type C (RNAS No. 170) was not able to fly with a torpedo and was abandoned after unsatisfactory trials.
The photograph of the Sopwith Special Seaplane, referred to in the text and which for many years was said to depict the Sopwith Type C. The aeroplane appears to be moored alongside the Sopwith workshops at Woolston, up-river from Calshot.
The Sopwith Type C experimental torpedo-dropping seaplane, as evident here, was a very large aircraft, and had an engine installation of uncommon interest. The "half-hoops' seen above the floats were probably for springing, and not associated with the torpedo gear.
Watkins monoplane built in 1908-1909 flew successfully for a number of years and still survives in a museum in Wales.
Watson No.I biplane with rocking wing for lateral control. Built at Dundee in 1908-1909.
Weiss glider 'Olive' was built and tested at Amberley in 1908-1909.
Weiss glider 'Joker' of 1911-1912 was tested at Amberley and later given to the Polytechnic Gliding and Flying Society.
Avro No. 3 Triplane at 1910 Boston Harvard Meeting.
A. V. Roe carrying a passenger last week flying his No. 3 Triplane at the 1910 Blackpool Meeting.
Bristol Coanda B.R.7 at 1913 Olympia Aero Show.
Dr. Christie's Blackburn I two-seater monoplane, winner on 2 October, 1913, of the Yorkshire Evening News "War of the Roses" race.
White and Thompson Twin-engine Flying-boat.
Sopwith 1913 Circuit Seaplane