M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
This single-seat monoplane was built on the lines of a Bleriot XI, but with a tailplane below the bottom longeron, and divided elevators mounted separately above and slightly behind. The castering undercarriage was sprung by rubber cords, connected by wires horizontally to a point midway down the fuselage, and served the purpose of realigning the wheels, as well as providing sprung suspension. Construction was of wood with a tubular steel undercarriage.
The first report was of trials conducted by Charles Lane on 13 January 1910. Wilfred Foulis, who was to become Lane's agent in Scotland, received a machine in February, which he was reported to be flying near Edinburgh in the spring. A monoplane with the fuselage uncovered was shown at Olympia in March 1910. This machine, and the Foulis aircraft, were certainly fitted with NEC engines. In May, The Aero reported two machines in hangar No.l at Brooklands, by then fitted with non-castering undercarriage with twin skids and four wheels, with which Lane and Astley continued flying throughout the summer.
It appears that the first Lane monoplane was originally fitted with a three-cylinder Anzani engine, which was replaced with the four-cylinder two-stroke NEC. This was an unsatisfactory engine, which did not produce the claimed power, and was finally replaced by a 35hp ENV, with which it was flown on 26 May 1910, receiving a complimentary Press report.
An early Lane monoplane fitted with an Anzani engine was wrecked at Brooklands on 25 July 1911 when flown by Pashley.
25hp Anzani three-cylinder air-cooled fan-type semiradial
25-30hp NEC four-cylinder inline water-cooled two-stroke driving a 7ft diameter propeller
35hp ENV type D eight-cylinder water-cooled vee.
Chord 6ft 6in
Area 160 sq ft (201 sq ft)*
Area tailplane 21 sq ft (26 sq ft)*
Area elevators 18 sq ft (24 sq ft)*
Area rudder 5 1/2 sq ft (8 sq ft)*
Weight 425 lb (450 lb)*
Weight allup 650 lb
Price with ENV ?500
* Alternative data from The Aero
In addition to the single-seater, Lane also exhibited at Olympia an incomplete side-by-side two-seater, similar in layout to the Bleriot XII, but with Lane's own type of tail unit and undercarriage. In this case the elevator was in one piece and the rudder was divided, the lower portion serving as a skid.
The engine was mounted low down in the airframe, with the propeller level with the leading edge, chain driven at about a reduction of two to one. The pilot and passenger sat on a bench seat behind the engine, just below the wing trailing edge.
The Bleriot XII was not a great success and the similar Lane machine followed it into obscurity. There are no reports of testing and the machine may not have been completed after the Aero Show.
Two Lane monoplanes, a single-seater and a two-seater, were offered for sale by L.N. Palmer of Tooting, London SW at bankrupt prices.
Power: 60hp NEC six-cylinder inline water-cooled two-stroke driving by chain an 8ft 6in (8ft 8in)* diameter propeller at 2 to 1 reduction
Span 36ft 6in
Chord 7ft 10in (8ft)*
Area 250 sq ft (320 sq ft)*
Area tailplane 30 sq ft
Area elevators 25 sq ft (26 sq ft)*
Area rudder 7 sq ft (8 sq ft)*
Weight 770 lb (675 lb)*
Weight allup 970 lb
*Alternative contemporary data
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Lane Single-seat Monoplane
The Lane single-seat tractor monoplane was designed by Charles Lane and built during 1910 by Lane's British Aeroplanes Ltd., of 31 Foley Street, London, W. It was exhibited at the 1910 Olympia Aero Show, and after testing at Brooklands early in the year by Wilfred Foulis, a well-known Edinburgh motorist, was taken to Edinburgh during February for further trials and was found to fly well. In appearance, the Lane Monoplane resembled a Bleriot, but was fitted with a biplane tail consisting of a fixed tailplane with elevators above it. Variants built included one with a three-cylinder 25 h.p. Anzani engine and a Bleriot-style undercarriage. Alternative engines used were the four-cylinder 25 h.p. supercharged N.E.C. and the eight-cylinder 40 h.p. E.N.V. "D". Span, 30 ft. Length, 22 ft. Wing area, 160 sq. ft. Weight empty, 425 lb. Weight loaded, 650 lb. Cruising speed, 30 m.p.h. Price, ?500 with 25 h.p. N.E.C.
Lane Two-seat Monoplane
The Lane two-seat monoplane was designed by Charles Lane and was constructed by Lane's British Aeroplanes Ltd., 31 Foley Street, London, W. In some respects it resembled the Bleriot XIII and was on display at the Olympia Aero Show of 1910. The engine was the six-cylinder 60 h.p. N.E.C. which drove the 10 ft. 6 ins. propeller above it by a chain. The crew sat behind the engine and below the trailing-edge of the wings. A long dorsal fin extended along the top of the fuselage from the wings to the rudder, and the elevators were mounted separately from the tailplane, which was fixed a little way ahead below the fuselage. Span, 32 ft. Length, 22 ft. Wing area, 180 sq. ft. Weight empty, 760 lb. Weight loaded, 970 lb. Cruising speed, 30 m.p.h. Price, ?800.
Flight, March 12, 1910
THE SECOND OLYMPIA AERO SHOW.
Two monoplanes, one of 30-ft. spread, and the other of 36-ft. span, the former fitted with a 30-h.p. engine, and the latter a 60-h.p. engine, both of the N.E.C. type.
Flight, April 9, 1910
FLYER SILHOUETTES FROM OLYMPIA
THE LANE SINGLE-SEATER MONOPLANE.
Leading Particulars of the Lane Monoplane (Single-Seater).
General Dimensions.-Areas-Main planes, 195 sq. ft.; fixed tail, 21 sq. ft.; elevator, 18 sq. ft.; rudder, about 5 1/2 sq. ft.
Lengths.-Span, 30 ft.; chord, 6 ft. 6 ins.; camber, 4 3/4 ins., situated about 24 ins. from leading edge; leverage of rudder, 20 ft.; skid track, 6 ft.; overall length, 24 ft.
Angles.-Dihedral, 1 in 40.
Materials.-Chassis of wood; front carriage of wood and steel tubes.
Propeller.-Diameter, 7 ft.; pitch, 3 ft. 6 ins.
Weight.-Machine, 285 lbs.; engine, 165 lbs.; driver, oil, petrol and water, 200 lbs.; total flying weight, 650 lbs.; loading (all weight supported on main planes), 3.3 lbs. per sq. ft.
Speed of Flight.-30 m.p.h.
System of Control.-Warping of wings, rudder and elevator.
A MONOPLANE of modified Bleriot design, having the elevator situated above the fixed tail plane instead of forming the extremities of the tail plane, as is the case in the original Bleriot design. The framework is constructed of timber and forms an open lattice box-girder. An original method of anchoring the diagonal wire ties has been devised, which enables the anchor bolts themselves to be used for the purpose of straining the wires. The suspension of the chassis is also original, elastic springs being anchored to the frame a considerable distance behind the pilot's seat. The machine is mounted upon a pair of wheels, each of which is carried in a special design of triple fork mounted on swiveling bracket.
THE LANE DOUBLE-SEATER MONOPLANE.
Leading Particulars of the Lane Monoplane (Double- Seater).
General Dimensions.-Areas-Main planes, 250 sq. ft.; elevator, 25 sq. ft.; rudder, 7 sq. ft.
Lengths.-Span, 36 ft. 6 ins.; chord, 7 ft. 10 ins.; camber, 7 1/4 ins., situated about 30 ins. from leading edge; skid track, 6 ft.; overall length, 24 ft.
Angle.-Dihedral, 1 in 38.
Materials.-Chassis of wood, front carriage of wood and steel tubes.
Propeller.-Diameter, 8 ft. 8 ins.; pitch, 4 ft. 6 ins.
Weight.-Machine, 550 lbs.; engine, 220 lbs.; driver, oil, petrol and water, 200 lbs.; total flying weight, 970 lbs.; loading (all weight supported on main planes), 3.9 lbs. per sq. ft.
Speed of Flight.-30 m.p.h.
System of control.-Warping of wings, rudder and elevator.
THE Lane two-seater was the only example of a monoplane constructed to carry two passengers that was exhibited at Olympia. Its design follows more or less closely on the lines of the single-seated model, the frame being constructed of timber and having the same system of wire straining. The basis of the design is the original Bleriot two-seated monoplane. The engine is situated low down immediately in front of the pilot's seat, and drives a large two-bladed tractor screw by means of a vertical chain. The propeller-shaft is carried on brackets attached to the main frame but is also stayed to the engine crank-shaft by an adjustable strut.