M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
STEWART monoplane (Norman S. Stewart, Scout Aero Club)
This very small machine was exhibited at the Stanley Show in November 1910 and was tested at Cuffley, Hertfordshire, in January 1911 with unknown success.
The aircraft was of conventional tractor monoplane layout, with wooden fuselage girder, mounted on a high Bleriot-style undercarriage and tail wheel. The wings were heavily cambered and rigged at a large incidence angle. Single acting ailerons were hinged on the trailing edge. A fixed tailplane and dorsal and ventral fins were fitted through the girder, with a universal pivoting cruciform tail unit behind for control.
Power: 20hp Alvaston two-cylinder horizontally opposed water-cooled.
Area 75 sq. ft
Length 15 ft
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
The Steward single-seat monoplane was built during 1910 and was tested at Cuffley, Herts., in January, 1911. The engine was the two-cylinder 20 h.p. Alvaston. The wings were of only 75 sq. ft. area, with a span of 16 ft. The length of the machine was 15 ft.
Flight, November 19, 1910
AEROPLANES AT THE STANLEY SHOW.
The Steward monoplane shown by the Scout Aero Club is superficially of conventional design but of very small size. The width is only 16 ft., and the length overall 15 ft. The wooden fuselage resembles the type made popular by M. Bleriot. The two wings have a bearing-surface of 75 sq. ft., and are placed at a pronounced angle of inclination. Behind a fixed non-lifting tail plane is a cruciform tail of Demoiselle type pivoted to the fuselage. Lateral stability is maintained by small ailerons fitted to the trailing edge of the main planes. A wheel control is employed, the backward and forward movement of which operates the elevator and a sideways movement the ailerons. The rudder is moved by a foot-lever. An Alvaston 20-h.p. 2-cyl. water-cooled engine is fitted, driving a small wooden propeller.