M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Barnwell 1911 Monoplane
The first wholly successful all-Scottish aeroplane was a single-seat tractor monoplane designed by Richard H. Barnwell and built by the Grampian Engineering and Motor Co. Ltd., of Stirling, ft was fitted with a 40 h.p. Grampian two-cylinder horizontally-opposed engine, and had a very clean appearance, with comparatively few external wires and an airframe which was completely fabric-covered. On 30th January, 1911, at Causeway Head, Barnwell used the machine to win the ?50 prize presented by J. R. K. Law for a flight by a member of the Scottish Aeronautical Society.
Flight, February 18, 1911
THE BARNWELL MONOPLANE,
THE accompanying photographs which have been sent to us by Mr. R. H. Barnwell, show something, although much less than might be desired, of the all-Scottish monoplane with which he is upholding Scottish prestige in the flight world and has just succeeded in winning the J. R. K. Law prize of L50 open to members of the Scottish Aeronautical Society. As our readers are aware, for a long time past Mr. Barnwell and the Grampian Motor Works, with which he is associated, have been experimenting in aeroplane work and the success that has attended his efforts at last is the result of a great deal of personal experience necessarily obtained very largely by trial and error, inasmuch as the work is being carried on in a place that is not exactly qualified to rank as yet as a centre of aviation in England.
The Barnwell monoplane is primarily interesting on account of the arrangement of the horizontal twin-cylinder Grampian engine with which it is fitted. This is very neatly placed in front of the body, within which the greater part of the engine is enclosed, only the cylinder-heads projecting on either side. The engine is said to develop 40 to 50-h.p., and is direct-coupled to a two-bladed wooden propeller. The rotation is anti-clockwise viewed from in front. Another interesting feature is the inclined position of the radiator, which is arranged as a kind of dashboard over the control mechanism and forms a sort of cab for the pilot. The whole machine is mounted on a central skid carriage supported by a light reinforced axle, which is braced to the front of the skid and t the body by wires. The body itself is entirely covered in, and is quite one of the characteristic features of the design. It terminates in the tail formed by fixed horizontal and vertical planes that carry hinged extensions, constituting the elevator and the rudder. The wings are given a considerable dihedral angle and a glance at the photograph showing the machine from behind also illustrates how the wings are stayed from above by a single wire attached to the side of the body. Presumably the designer is quite satisfied that the overhead mast and the usual multiplicity of wires to the top surface are unnecessary. The comparative absence of external trussing in this machine is at any rate very striking.