M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
SANDERS biplane No.1 (Capt. Haydn Arnold Sanders MD, London Aeroplane and Navigation Co., 23 Blenheim Park Rd., Croydon, Surrey)
Capt. Sanders was assisted by his brother, Kempton Sanders and FL. Rawson, a consultant.
The machine was built at Kessingland, near Lowestoft, and was tested at Benacre Denes, making its first flight in October 1909, but was wrecked on hitting a telephone wire on 13 February 1910. In its short life the Sanders biplane had achieved a flight of 2 1/2 miles, but had only flown at heights up to twenty-five feet.
The biplane was constructed mainly of steel tubing and was a canard design with a fixed boxkite biplane unit on the front booms. There was a single rudder behind the elevators, which were hinged to the top and bottom wing trailing edges. The wings had tips which curved downwards outboard of the X-shaped interplane struts, the centers of which served as mountings for the aileron hinges.
The pilot was seated ahead of the engine which drove twin pusher propellers on long shafts by chains. The engine, although reliable, was heavy at 289 lb., for the power developed. The undercarriage was a tubular structure with two main wheels and twin wooden skids and a single tail wheel. Certain features were covered by patent No.4624/1909.
Power: 30hp Brooke four-cylinder inline water-cooled 'marine' engine driving two 8ft diameter propellers by chains.
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Sanders Biplane No. 1
The Sanders Type 1 was a single-seat canard pusher biplane which was designed during 1909 by Capt. Haydn A. Sanders of the London Aeroplane and Aerial Navigation Company of Croydon, Surrey. The company was formed to promote the design, and the machine was constructed at Benacre Down, Kessingland, Suffolk, with the help of the designer's brother Kempton and F. L. Rawson. The engine, a marine type, was a four-cylinder 30 h.p. Brooke, which drove two 8 ft. 6 ins. diameter propellers by long chains. The wings were of equal span and had down-curved tips. Fixed horizontal and vertical stabilizing surfaces were carried at the front, control surfaces consisting of elevators mounted on both upper and lower wings across the trailing-edges at the centre-section, together with a single rudder at the rear and ailerons between the wings.
The first flight of the Type 1 was made during October, 1909, and the machine continued to develop successfully with the assistance of the makers of the engine until, at 8 a.m. on Sunday, 13th February, 1910, in the course of a flight over Benacre Down it struck a coastguard telephone pole and crashed, a total wreck. Reconstruction took place as the Type 2 with major modifications.
Flight, February 19, 1910
Sanders Biplane has a Mishap.
A MISHAP befell the biplane which has been built by the Brothers Sanders at Kessingland, near Lowestoft. On Saturday, Mr. Kempton Sanders was trying the machine and had got it to rise to a height of about 20 ft. when it came into collision with some telegraph wires. This caused the machine to pitch forward and fall to the ground, smashing it, but fortunately Mr. Sanders was able to jump clear.
Flight, February 26, 1910
THE SANDERS AEROPLANE.
LAST week we recorded the mishap to the Sanders aeroplane, and we are now able to give some photographs of the "incident."
Captain Sanders, of the London Aeroplane and Aerial Navigation Co., has been working very quietly in conjunction with Messrs. J. W. Brooke and Co., Ltd., of Lowestoft, on this biplane on the Benacre Denes, about 5 miles from Lowestoft, and has gradually built up this machine to a successful issue, a number of flights having been carried out from time to time.
The accident, which took place at 8 o'clock in the morning, was not the outcome of any fault of the machine or the motor. As we stated last week, it was owing to the close proximity of some coastguard telephone poles, the tip end of one of the wings catching the top of one of these poles, and so bringing the machine right round and completely upsetting the balance.
The motor used in this biplane is a 30-h.p. Brooke, and weighs as much as 240 lbs., as after building several engines for flight purposes, Messrs. J. W. Brooke and Co. came to the conclusion that it was better to sacrifice lightness to obtain reliability. Captain Sanders has looked after the engine himself for several months without any trouble, and intends using the same engine in his new aeroplane. The Sanders machine weighs in flying order 1,100 lbs.