Самолеты (сортировка по:)
Страна Конструктор Название Год Фото Текст

Paulhan biplane

Страна: Франция

Год: 1910

Paulat - monoplane - 1910 - Франция<– –>Paulhan - biplane - 1911 - Франция


L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)


Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing


Журнал Flight


Flight, October 22, 1910

THE PAULHAN BIPLANE.

  CONSIDERABLE interest attaches to Paulhan's machine a voler, as he prefers to call it, both because of its constructor's great reputation as an aviator of the highest class and because of the originality of the design. One is anxious to find out from it the secrets taught by experience to an expert and observant aviator, and to see if possible how such teaching differs, if at all, from that of abstract theory.
  Superficially, the most striking feature is the method employed шn the construction of the framework, a method which at once shows the connection of Henri Fabre with the design. The fuselage and the leading edges of the planes are of a built-up lattice-work of great strength, thus doing away with the majority of the customary wire stays.
  The machine is a biplane fitted with a forward elevator and single-plane stabilising tail, in front of which appears the rudder. The main planes lie midway between the elevator and tail, and are divided into three sections, the centre one of which is stationary, the two outer ones being connected in such a way that the angle of one or other of the sections can be altered for the purpose of maintaining lateral stability.
  The construction of the wings is very interesting. The entering edge consists of a beam made by the insertion of a kind of lattice work between two strips of ash of about 6 ins. in width, the ends of which approach each other. In the centre of the plane the two strips are 6 ins. apart. From this beam spring the ribs, each fastened by an ingenious clip, which can be released readily when the replacement of broken spars is necessary, or if it is desired to alter the curvature of the wing. Over these is spread the canvas, each rib sliding through a pocket. The canvas is attached to the trailing edge end of the ribs by tiny hinged spring-clips. It is thus possible to remove the entire canvas covering, if a hangar is not available during rain, or when making long journeys far from houses and spending the night in the open, or if it be necessary to alter the wing area. Four wooden stanchions are fitted between the beams of the main planes, and to the centre pair are clipped the beams which run fore and aft to carry the elevator in front and the horizontal tail behind. To these central stanchions are also attached the pillars at the rear of the landing skids. For nearly all these flexible joints and for the hinges of the elevator and tail M. Paulhan has introduced a neat arrangement in which a strip of chrome leather bears all the movement.
  One very interesting part of the design is that the nacelle, which carries the motor and propeller, the petrol tank, and the seats tor pilot and passenger (side by side), and on the forward end of which is mounted the controlling wheel and levers, is rigidly suspended between the main planes by steel cables from top and bottom of the central stanchions. It is claimed that this method of attachment is exceptionally light, and facilitates the mounting and adjustment of the motor. The vertical rudder, which, as we have said, is placed just in front of the horizontal tail, is also attached to the rear end of the outriggers in the same way. At the foot of the vertical beam carrying the rudder is a wooden skid, which can be operated by a cable from the pilot's seat to act as a brake.
  The control is by wheel, mounted on a shaft, the backward or forward movement of which works the elevator. For steering, the wheel is rotated and a right or left movement of the entire control alters the angle of the wing sections.
  The angle of the tail, which is hinged to the frame, can be readily adjusted on the ground by the movement of levers up and down a slotted bar, mounted on the rear end of the outrigger, as in one of the accompanying photographs.
  M. Paulhan fits the Gnome motor and Normale propeller as standards.
  The landing chassis resembles that used on the Farman machine in many ways, but it has some useful original points. The skids are connected in front to the elevator outriggers by the chrome leather hinge-clips and wooden rods.
  The strength of the construction is incontestable, and the expenditure of thought is obvious, but as yet one knows nothing of the flying capabilities of the appareil.
  The rights for Great Britain and the Colonies are vested in Mr. Holt Thomas, and the appearance of the novel aeroplane on this side of the Channel will be awaited with great interest.


Flight, November 12, 1910

Trial of the Paulhan Machine.

  PILOTED by Caille, the new Paulhan biplane was out on Saturday for trial at St. Cyr, and was in the air altogether for about an hour and a half.


Flight, December 3, 1910

BRITISH NOTES OF THE WEEK.

Tests with the British Army Paulhan Machine.

  SEVERAL very good trial flights have been made recently by the Paulhan biplane purchased by the British Government. On Saturday last Caille twice made cross-country trips from St. Cyr to Buc and back, while later in the day he carried out a series of altitude tests.


Flight, January 21, 1911

BRITISH NOTES OF THE WEEK.

British Army Paulhan Biplane.

  AT BUC, on Wednesday of last week, Caille successfully put the Paulhan biplane intended for use in the British Army through a series of tests. The conditions imposed were that the machine should fly for two hours with a passenger as well as 200 kilogs. of ballast, in a wind blowing at the rate of 25 miles an hour, and make a gliding flight, with the engine stopped, from a height of 200 metres. Capt. Fulton, who represented the British Army at these tests, has, we understand, accepted delivery of the machine on behalf of the Government.

L.Opdyke - French Aeroplanes Before the Great War /Schiffer/
The first version of Paulhan's biplane, with Fabre-type spars with the fabric laced to them.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
PAULHAN'S NEW BIPLANE. - View from in front.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
PAULHAN'S NEW BIPLANE. - General view from behind. The surface area of the planes can be altered in a few minutes.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
In this view ot the Paulhan biplane the girder construction details ol the front of the planes and the leather attachments employed for all joints can be seen.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
Detail view of the wooden rudder on the new Paulhan biplane.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
The skids, elevator, pilot's seat and steering-gear of the new Paulhan biplane are seen in this photograph.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
The new Paulhan biplane making a flight at St. Cyr last week.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
Paulhan biplane flying well at St. Cyr.
Журнал - Flight за 1911 г.
Capt. Fulton, R.A., and M. Paulhan at St. Cyr after the necessary tests of the Paulhan biplane, before delivery to the British Army, were concluded.
Журнал - Flight за 1911 г.
Capt. Fulton, R.A., in the pilot's seat of the Gnome-engined Paulhan biplane, of which he has just taken delivery in France on behalf of the British Army. This machine was fully described in FLIGHT on October 22nd last.
Журнал - Flight за 1910 г.
M. Caille, the first pilot to fly the new Paulhan biplane.
L.Opdyke - French Aeroplanes Before the Great War /Schiffer/
Louis Paulhan (L) and Louis Peyret (R) with their big model with twin pusher propellers on outriggers between the wings.