L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
Maurice Clement designed at least 2 aircraft. One was a curious tractor monoplane with low-set broad wing; the pilot sat underneath it between 2 large wide-set wheels and immediately behind a large fuel tank. The tail was supported on outriggers and a large tailwheel; the front end terminated in twin skids each with a small nose-wheel. A 2-cylinder opposed engine was mounted on the leading edge. The other was an attractive Maurice Farman-type pusher biplane built by Letord and Niepce; it appeared at Issy in 1910, flown by Francois Parent, who passed his brevet test on 29 August 1910 on it. The machine, occasionally reported as a Poulain-Orange, seems to have been sold at the end of the year to the Morlat School at Pont Levoy. It had a single forward elevator, biplane tail cell with a single oval rudder set in the middle, trailing wheels. Ailerons were fitted behind the outermost wing struts; side-curtains were sometimes fitted here. One version had ailerons on the lower wings, an elaborate 4-wheel undercarriage, twin tailwheels, and a small uncovered box frame for the pilot and his passenger seated in tandem. It was first flown with a Clement-Bayard engine, and then with a 70 hp water-cooled inline Labor-Aviation.