L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
Landeroin et Robert
Introduced at the 1914 Concours de Securite, this bizarre machine was meant to be automatically stable. It was built at Pierre Levasseur's factory around what looked like a Morane-Saulnier fuselage, at the rear end of which was set a trapezoidal rudder and a semicircular elevator on each side. These were the only familiar features. The rest was a tandem monoplane with one pair of straight rectangular wings mounted far back at the top of the fuselage; the front pair was swept back from a straight center-section which was mounted precariously out in front of the engine and propeller, the whole thing braced with curved struts over and around the propeller, down to the undercarriage; one ran all the way back over the top to the tailpost. Ailerons were set into the inner sections of the trailing edges of the front wings. A 3-skid addition was made to the undercarriage.
(Span: 10.5 m; length: 8 m; wing area: 23 sqm; empty weight: 500 kg; 70 hp Le Rhone)