Flight, March 15, 1917.
AT THE AMERICAN AERO SHOW - SOME NEW TYPES.
The Cooper Training Biplane.
In general design this machine, built by the John D. Cooper Aeroplane Corp., of Bridgeport, Conn., mainly for training purposes, resembles the Caudron tractor biplane. The wings and tail planes have flexible ribs as on the latter machine. The single seater nacelle is also similar. As shown in the accompanying illustration, the machine is equipped with two floats, mounted on the skids, but for land use these can be substituted by Farman-type wheels. These floats measure 9 ft. long, 1 ft. 10 ins. beam, and 9 ins. deep, and each weigh 46 lbs. Two tail floats are also fitted. A 5-cyl. two-cycle Frederickson rotary engine (70 h.p.) is employed, mounted on a steel plate at the nose of the nacelle. All control wires are solid, except when they run over the ball-bearing pulleys, when cable is employed. General dimensions :- Span (top) 33 ft., (bottom) 22 ft.; chord, 4 ft. 6 ins.; gap, 4 ft. 4 ins.; weight (empty), 500 lbs.