R.Mikesh, A.Shorzoe Japanese Aircraft, 1910-1941 (Putnam)
Tsuzuku No.3 Aeroplane
Early in 1915, the Chinese Revolutionary Army placed an order with Tsuzuku for the manufacture of a monoplane resembling the Nieuport NG. To complete this order in the shortest time, work was begun at a factory building in Kikukawacho, Honjo, Tokyo, with Tsuzuku's assistant, Shuichi Yano, acting as chief engineer. Construction was begun on 10 January, 1915, under the supervision of Torajiro Nishijima, with six other workers. In charge of the metal work was Masao Ohta, later president of Ohta Automobile Co, with three other sheet-metal workers. In record time, just 98 days, the aeroplane was completed on 28 April, 1915. The 50hp Gnome engine was taken from the Hoshino Aeroplane in which it was being used on loan.
The aeroplane was scheduled for flight testing at Inage on 5 May of that year, but this was delayed because of conflicting relationships between China and Japan. Delivery was made, however, to Chinese aviator Yun-Peng Jao, of the Aviation School of the Chinese Revolutionary Army, and engineer Rong-Jong Wu. A Japanese aviator, Yonezo Hoshino, was assigned to look after the aeroplane during shipment and while in China. (see Hoshino Aeroplane.) According to evaluations made by the Chinese pilot, the aeroplane was good in both flying qualities and speed, and a letter of appreciation was sent by the Chinese to Tsuzuku.
Single-engine shoulder-wing monoplane. Wooden structure (Japanese cypress) with ply-covered fuselage and fabric-covered wings and rail. Fuselage joined in the centre, with four bolts, for rail shipment. Pilot in open cockpit.
50hp Gnome seven-cylinder aircooled rotary engine, driving a two-bladed wooden propeller.
Span 11.40m (37ft 5in); length 7.50m (24ft 7 1/4in); height 2.60m (8ft 6 1/4in).
Empty weight 350kg (771Ib); loaded weight 550kg (1,212Ib).
Maximum speed 49kt (56mph); endurance 4hr.
One built in April 1915.