Bristol Aircraft since 1910
C.Barnes - Bristol Aircraft since 1910 /Putnam/
Original Scout, No. 206, at Larkhill, February 1914; Busteed in cockpit, Barnwell holding up tail.
Scout A modified; Carbery starting from Hendon in London-Manchester Race, July 1914.
First production Scout C at Eastchurch in March 1915.
Scout D of R.N.A.S. (100 hp Mono-Gnome) with large ailerons, latge rudder and cut-out for Lewis gun; Cranwell 1916.
B.E.2d and Scout D biplanes ready for dispatch from Filton in 1916.
Scout D of R.F.C. with 110 hp Clerget, spinner and large ailerons.
M.1A as first flown by F. P. Raynham at Filton in June 1916.
Second M.1B A5140 at Filton in December 1916.
Fourth M.1B A5142 modified to M.1C standard with central gun; Orfordness, April 1917.
M.1C's of No. 72 Sqn in Mesopotamia in 1917.
G-EASR at Filton in 1924.
Larry Carter with M-AFAA (formerly G-EAVO) at Croydon in November 1921.
Harry Butler and H. A. Kauper with M.1C C5001 bought from the Aircraft Disposals Board at Waddon in July 1919.
Harry Butler's M.1C re-engined in 1931 with Gipsy II, restored in 1957 and now preserved at Minlaton, S.A.
F. P. Raynham in M.IA after first flight at Filton, June 1916.
First prototype F.2A A3303 with original side radiators at Filton in September 1916.
A3303 at Upavon with nose radiator fitted and lower wing-root end-plates removed.
Second F.2A A3304 at Filton in December 1916, with longerons and lower centre section modified to F.2B standard.
F.2B night-fighter B1252 of No. 39 Sqn, showing wing-tip lights and pilot's ring-sight.
F.2B C906 with Arab and S.E.5a radiator at Filton in April 1918.
The Shuttleworth Trust's veteran F.2B flying at Filton in July, 1961.
F.2B Mk IV F4587 converted from Mk II in May 1928; this aeroplane was flown in the 1937 R.A.F. Display at Hendon and registered G-AFHJ in 1938, but was destroyed during the war.
Veteran F.2B F4891 on show at Filton in September 1919.
Filton-built F.2B P30 with the first American 300 hp Hispano-Suiza, at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, in 1918.
F.2B Mk II J6790 with desert wheels and oleo undercarriage for service trials; Filton 1920.
F.2B Mk II J6721 of the R.A.E., with steel biconvex (R.A.F. 34) wings and evaporative cooling; Farnborough, January 1930.
F.2B Mk III J8251 at Filton in October 1926.
Rigging a 300 hp Hispano-Suiza engined Bristol Fighter for Spain, Filron 1924.
Bristol Fighter F.2B Mk.II
B.E.2d and Scout D biplanes ready for dispatch from Filton in 1916.
The Pullman at Martlesham Heath in August 1920.
First of the two Tramps at Filton in January 1922, ready for ground running.
Bristol Pullman 14
First Scout F B3989 with Arab at Filton in January 1918.
Bristol M.R.1 with temporaty wooden wings (ailerons on top wing only) before fitst flight; Filton, October 1917.
First M.R.1 (originally A5177) after having metal wings fitted; Filton, 1918.
First S.2A 7836 at Filton in June 1916.
Pixton and Jullerot in No. 121 at Larkhill, July 1913; note bomb held by mechanic.
Boxkite No.8 (50 hp E.N.V.) at Larkhill in November 1910.
Edmond on Boxkite No.7 at Larkhill on 30 July 1910.
Edmond flying Boxkite No.7 at Lanark in August 1910.
Larkhill Flying School photographed from a Boxkite by Stanley White in 1911.
Henri Jullerot and Stanley White at Durdham Down, 14 November 1910.
Pioneers in the field: Edmond in Boxkite No.8 at Lanark in August 1910, with (l. to r.) Crisp, Frank Coles, Lesue Macdonald, Collyns Pizey, G. H. Challenger, Bendall and Briginshaw.
Bristol Standard Biplane (Boxkite)
The Zodiac biplane at Olympia in March 1910.
The glider built for the Bristol & West of England Aero Club, October 1910.
Claude Grahame-White on No. 16 at Dover, 18 December 1910.
Jullerot on No. 39 (60 hp Renault) at Larkhill, July 1911.
Flying instruction, 1911: Solo on a Boxkite at Brooklands;
Monoplane No. 35, March 1911.
Bristol-Grandseigne No.33 racing biplane, March 1911.
Maurice Tabuteau starting from Vincennes on No. 45 in Circuit de l'Europe Race, June 1911.
Collyns Pizey on T-type biplane in Circuit of Britain Race, July 1911.
Challenger-England No. 59 at Larkhill, December 1911.
Pierre Prier with P-1, No. 46, at Larkhill, July 1911.
Sir George White inspects No. 56 at Larkhill, August 1911.
No. 56 re-engined with 40 hp Isaacson for James Valentine, 1911.
Warren Merriam with pupil in No. 73 at Larkhill, 1912.
Prier-Dickson No. 75 (256) at Farnborough in March 1913.
Single-seater No. 81, sold to Spain in March 1912.
Flying instruction, 1911: Dual on a Prier monoplane at Larkhill.
Bristol Prier P-1
Coanda School monoplane No.132 at Filton in November 1912.
Busteed in Coanda No. 106, competing at Larkhill in August 1912.
Coanda Military monoplane No. 150 flying at Halberstadt in 1913.
Capt. Bertram Dickson as passenger, with Mr. C. H. Pixton as pilot, about to set out for a flight on one of the 80-h.p. Bristol monoplanes at Turin during the tests by the Italian Government before taking over the Bristol monoplanes on order. This is the first aeroplane trip made by Capt. Dickson in Italy since his well-remembered accident at Milan when he had the terrible collision in the air with Thomas, another aviator.
Bristol Coanda W.O. monoplane
G.E.2 No. 103 (Gnome) flying at Larkhill in August 1912.
Bristol GE2 biplane Works No.104 with Daimler engine at Larkhill.
G.E.3 No. 113 at Pilton in November 1912; note kingpost bracing to stiffen rear spars.
Second T.T.A. 7751 at Filton in May 1916.
G.E.1 No. 64 in its original form at Larkhill, March 1912.
Busteed and party with No. 120 at Cowes, April 1913, showing original float.
Busteed taxying No. 121 at Dale in September 1913.
Harry Busteed on T.B.8 seaplane at Dale in September 1913.
Lt. C. D. Burney, R.N., with model of proposed X.1 hydroped biplane.
Henri Coanda, Frank Barnwell and Lt. C. D. Burney with X.2 at Filton, 1912.
X.2 taxying under power from water-screws at Dale, September 1912.
X.3 aground in Milford Haven after taxying into sand-bank in June 1914.
Pixton flying B.R.7 No. 157 at Larkhill, 1913.
Badger II J6492 with Cosmos Jupiter I and park-bench aileron balances, at Filton in March 1920.
Badger II with Jupiter II and polygonal cowl in 1921.
Badger X at Filton in May 1919.
Second of the three F.2B's built with long-range tanks and dual controls in July 1919.
G-EAIZ, the first Puma-engined Tourer, at Filton in September 1919.
No. 5891, the first Coupe Three-seater at Filton in August 1920 before dispatch to New York.
No. 5873 on tow off Avonmouth in October 1920; note the metal airscrew.
No. 6112, the first open Three-seater for Spain, ferried by Maj. H. de Havilland in April 1922.
Babe Mk I with the 35 hp Viale engine of 1911 vintage used for early flying in November 1919.
All three Babes together; left, George Clephane with Mk II; right, Tom Bond and Ernie Knight (in cockpit) with the Babe monoplane; second Mk III biplane behind; at Patchway in 1924.
The Bristol Bullet G-EATS in the original form in which Capt C. F. Uwins flew it on 24 July, 1920, in the Aerial Derby at Filton.
The Bullet in its final form at Croydon in September 1922.
XB-1A of U.S. Army Air Corps built by Dayton-Wright in 1921.