C.Barnes Bristol Aircraft since 1910 (Putnam)
One other Bristol biplane, the S.2A, deserves notice here, although it was a two-seater. It was derived from the Scout D and was designed to meet an Admiralty specification for a two-seater fighter. Powered by a 110 h.p. Clerget rotary engine installed between horizontal bearers as proposed for the G.B.l, it had the same tail surfaces as Scout D but less rake at the wing tips. Two seats were installed side by side in the single cockpit. The design was rejected by the Admiralty, who preferred the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, but the War Office were interested in it as a potential advanced trainer and ordered two prototypes on 10 March 1916. These, Nos. 1377 and 1378 (7836 and 7837), were built and flown in May and June 1916, being delivered to the Central Flying School at Upavon on 11 June and 30 July, respectively. One of them was later flown at Gosport, where it had been fitted with a 100 h.p. Monosoupape-Gnome in a modified cowling. Its performance was quite good in spite of its girth, which earned it the nickname 'Tubby' at Filton as well as other appropriate epithets at the C.F.S.
SPECIFICATIONS AND DATA
Manufacturers: The British & Colonial Aeroplane Co. Ltd., Filton and Brislington, Bristol
Power Plant 110 hp Clerget,
100 hp Mono-Gnome
Span 28 ft 2 in
Length 21 ft 3 in
Height 10 ft
All-up Weight 1,400 lb
Max. Speed 95 mph
Duration 3 hours
Sequence Nos. 1377,1378
H.King Armament of British Aircraft (Putnam)
S.2A. This 1916 development of the Scout, designed for the Admiralty, had side-by-side seating and was intended for fighting. The proposed armament was a Lewis gun, possibly on a pillar mounting behind the cockpit.
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
BRISTOL S.2A UK
A derivative of the Scout D intended to meet an Admiralty specification for a two-seat fighter, the S.2A had side-by-side seating and was intended to be armed with a single 0.303-in (7,7-mm) Lewis gun. In the event, it was rejected by the Admiralty in favour of the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, but work continued on the two prototypes at the behest of the War Office which envisaged the type primarily as a potential advanced trainer for the RFC. The two prototypes were completed in May and June 1916 respectively, being powered by the 110 hp Clerget engine (although one was later re-engined with a 100 hp Gnome Monosoupape), and were delivered to the Central Flying School at Upavon. They were found to be manoeuvrable and quite fast, but no further development was undertaken.
Max speed, 95mph (153 km/h).
Endurance, 3.0 hrs.
Loaded weight, 1,400 lb (635 kg). Span, 28 ft 2 in (8,58m).
Length, 21 ft 3 in (6,48 m).
Height, 10 ft 0 in (3.05 m).