В.Обухович, А.Никифоров Самолеты Первой Мировой войны
В 1916 г. Э. Хейнкелем был сконструирован самолет, получивший обозначение в честь владельца компании "Ганза-Бранденбург" Камилио Кастильоне. Новая машина представляла собой деревянную летающую лодку с характерными для конструкций Э. Хейнкеля многолучевыми межкрыльевыми стойками, позволявшими обходиться без расчалок. Однако на некоторых самолетах были оборудованы V-образные межкрыльевые стойки и расчалки. Машина оснащалась двигателем Хиро (185 л. с) с лобовым радиатором охлаждения или горизонтальным, расположенным в верхнем крыле. Вооружение состояло из одного или двух пулеметов "Максим" 08/15 (получивших название "Шпандау" - по имени города, где их производили). Всего было изготовлено 35 самолетов.
Германское флотское командование с недоверием относилось к лодочным самолетам, предпочитая поплавковые, поэтому Кастильоне предложил новую машину Австро-Венгрии, где широко использовались летающие лодки. Серийное производство машины было решено организовать в компании "Феникс", тоже принадлежавшей Кастильоне, под обозначением Бранденбург-Феникс K с двигателем Хиро (200 л. с.) или Австро-Даймлер (200 л. с).
Самолет развивал высокую скорость и уступал итальянским "ньюпорам" лишь в маневренности. Представляет интерес тот факт, что воздушный бой между австрийским асом Г. Банфельдом на K и итальянским асом Ф. Бараччи, летавшим на "Ньюпоре-11", закончился вничью.
В 1918 г. испытывался вариант самолета с тремя крыльями.
Двигатель 1 х Австро-Даймлер (200 л. с.)
или Хиро (200 л. с.)
размах х длина х высота 9,30 х 7,65 х 3,58 м
Площадь крыльев 26,5 м2
пустого 801 кг
взлетный 1081 кг
Максимальная скорость 175 км/ч
Продолжительность полета 3,5 ч
пулеметное 1-2 неподвижных пулемета
Экипаж 1 чел.
O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Designed in 1916, initially for the Austrian Navy, the C.C. took its designation from the initials of Camilo Castiglioni, the financier behind the Brandenburg works. It was flown with great success by Lt. Banfield from the Austrian seaplane station at Pola. Some twenty-six machines were also supplied to the German Navy. These were fitted with 150 h.p. Benz engines, the Austrian machines having Hiero or Austro-Daimler power plants. The first machines were fitted with a single machine-gun; later twin guns were installed. Engine, 150 h.p. Benz Bz III. Span, 9.3 m. (30 ft. 6 1/8 in.). Length, 7.69 m. (25 ft. 2 3/4 in.). Height, 3.575 m. Area, 26.52 sq.m. (286 sq.ft.). Weights: Empty, 716 kg. (1,575 lb.). Loaded, 1,031 kg. (2,268 lb.). Speed, 175 km.hr. (109.375 m.p.h.). Climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 5 min. Armament, one or two Spandau machine-guns.
N.B. Data applies to batch "1137/1146".
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
BRANDENBURG CC Germany
Intended primarily for use by the Austro-Hungarian Navy, the CC single-seat fighter flying boat (the designation was derived from the initials of Camillo Castiglioni, the financier of the Hansa- und Brandenburgische Flugzeug-Werke) was a single-bay biplane of wooden construction which appeared in prototype form in mid-1916. Retaining the "star” interplane bracing strut arrangement introduced by the KD (D I), the CC was supplied to the Austro-Hungarian Navy with both the 160 hp Austro-Daimler and 180 hp Hiero six-cylinder water-cooled engines, armament consisting of a single 8-mm Schwarzlose machine gun projecting through the windscreen. A total of 37 fighter flying boats of this type was delivered to the service. The CC was also adopted by the German Navy, which received a total of 36, with deliveries commencing in February 1917. These were powered by the 150 hp Benz Bz III, the engines of some examples being semi-cowled. The CC initially carried an armament of one 7,92-mm LMG 08/15 machine gun, but late production examples had two such weapons fixed to fire forward in the upper decking of the hull nose, and the hull was lengthened to improve flying characteristics. In July 1917, the German Navy grounded the CC until all aircraft were provided with extra (Vee-type) interplane bracing struts to dampen severe wing vibration. The CC was employed extensively and with considerable success over the Adriatic by the Austro-Hungarian Navy. One example was completed experimentally as a triplane, the extra wing being placed at the intersection of the "star-struts”. It was delivered to the Austro-Hungarian Navy for evaluation on 11 May 1917, but was written-off in a landing accident on the following 19 September. One CC was modified and tested in the summer of 1918 as the W 22, with broad sponsons replacing the outrigger stabilising floats. This experimental model, which crashed during testing, was intended solely to evaluate the sponson concept as part of the Staaken Rs IV development programme.
Max speed, 109 mph (175 km/h).
Time to 3,280 ft (1 000 m), 4.8 min.
Range, 310 mis (500 km).
Empty weight, 1,764 lb (800 kg).
Loaded weight, 2,381 lb (1080 kg).
Span, 30 ft 6 1/8 in (9,30 m).
Length, 25 ft 2 3/4 in (7,69 m).
Height, 11 ft 8 1/2 in (3,57 m).
Wing area, 285.46 sqft (26,52 m2).
Flight, January 17, 1918.
FROM OTHER LANDS.
AUSTRIAN AGO AND LOHNER FLYING BOATS.
("Aerial Age," U.S.A., from material supplied by the U.S.A. Government.)
Two types of Austrian seaplanes which have fallen into the hands of the Italians during the present year, and regarded as worthy of special note, are the Ago and Lohner types. The Ago Sea-Pursuit Biplane described here and shown in the accompanying line drawing, bore the number "A-25"; it was captured May 18th, 1917. The Lohner-type flying boat (described later in this article) was brought down on the night of January 12th, 1917, and it was marked " K-301."
1.-The Ago Sea-Pursuit Biplane.
In its general lines this machine does not differ much from all the flying boats of the Ago type. It does offer, however, features that are original and worthy of mention. Most striking is the structure of the wing cell in which no wires are employed.
The wing cell may be considered as consisting of two cross-networks, each made up of a front spar and a rear spar and of adjacent struts in inclined planes connecting the spars, all converging toward the centre of the "star" located midway between upper and lower wings. The struts are of polished steel tubing with a fairing of laminated wood less than one mm. thick, providing a good streamlining effect.
Span, upper plane 8.00 m
Span, lower plane 7.38m
Chord, both planes 1.50 m
Gap between planes 1.65 m
Length overall 7.62 m
Length of hull 6.50 m
Maximum width of hull 1.00 m
Motor, Warschalowski 218 h.p
Propeller, diameter 2.72 m
No lists of weights or performances are obtainable. The accompanying sketch will give an idea of the appearance of the "A-25" in flight.
Control cables to the ailerons pass close to the struts of the turret and lead to the upper plane. Each aileron is about 1.40 m. long and .40 m. wide.
The construction solution of the hull, the great care with which the exposed parts have been shaped, the complete covering of the cables and control wires, and the streamline shape of the hull, all show a desire to cut down head resistances as much as possible. Similar care is shown in all details of construction to reduce to a minimum the weight of the machine without detriment to its strength.
The hull is 6 1/2m. long; width at the step, .95 m.; maximum width, 1 m.; distance from bow to step, 3.45 m.; height of step, .16 m. The shape of the body with the necessary lining at the bow and because of a careful laying of the side and bottom plating approaches very much the shape of a solid body of fairly good streamline form. The wing floats are spaced 5 m. apart. They are of streamline section, with flat sides, attached to the planes by means of one forward strut and two rear struts, with cross wire bracing between the struts.
The empennage or tail group is 2.38 m. in span, sustained in front by a vertical fin of very thin laminated wood, by two stays and two wire cables. Control wires of rudder flaps or elevators run through the fin. The rudder is 1.40 m. high by .80 m. wide.
The data given out concerning the motor is as follows :- "Motor: Hiero Flugmotor, Osterr; Ind. Werke Warschalowski, Eissler & Co.; A-G 6 cylinders; type, HN1096. It develops 218 h.p. at 1,400 revolutions per minute. Weight 314 kilograms. It is equipped with Bosch magnetos and small starting magnetos. Propeller: 2:0 h.p.h. Hiero 6 cylinders; diameter, 2.72 m.; pitch, 2.25-2.40.