O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Brandenburg FB 1915
Only six examples of this, the first Brandenburg flying-boat, were supplied to the German Navy, which was not enthusiastic about flying-boats. The Austrian Navy, on the other hand, favoured this type and used it in the Adriatic with considerable success. Engine, 165 h.p. Austro-Daimler, Span, 16.0 m. (52 ft. 6 in.). Length, 10.105 m. (33 ft. 1 7/8 in.). Area, 46.0 sq.m. (497 sq.ft.). Weights: Empty, 1,140 kg. (2,508 lb.). Loaded, 1,620 kg. (3,564 lb.). Speed, 140 km.hr. (87.5 m.p.h.). Climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 8.5 min. Armament, one Parabellum machine-gun.
Brandenburg W 13
This comparatively large flying-boat was used only by the Austro-Hungarian Naval Air stations. Although the prototype was German designed (Ernst Heinkel) and built, production machines were built under licence by the Austrian Government factory Oeffag and Hungarian Government factory Ufag. A crew of two was carried. Engine, 350 h.p. Austro-Daimler. Span, 20.4 m. (66 ft. 9 1/4 in.). Length, 13.7 m. (44 ft. 11 3/8 in.). Height, 4.23 m. (13 ft. 10 1/2 in.). Area, 81.2 sq.m. (877 sq.ft.). Weights: Empty, 1,550 kg. (3,410 lb.). Loaded, 2,850 kg. (6,270 lb.). Armament, one Schwarzlose machine-gun. Small tactical bomb load.