Книги

Putnam
A.Jackson
De Havilland Aircraft since 1909
137

A.Jackson - De Havilland Aircraft since 1909 /Putnam/

Capt. G. de Havilland in the prototype D.H.I with auxiliary aerofoils, at Hendon in January 1915.
Production D.H.I, serial number 4607, with 70 h.p. Renault engine.
One of the initial 100 aircraft batch production series, serial number 5943.
The prototype D.H.5 bearing R.F.C. serial A5172.
No. 24 Squadron D.H.5, A9435, in enemy hands at Adlersdorf in August 1917 after the pilot, Lt. Robertson, had been taken prisoner.
Production D.H.5, A9456, built by the Darracq Motor Engineering Co. Ltd.
The prototype D.H.4, serial number 3696, at Hendon in August 1916 showing the forward-sloping rear centre-section struts.
A2129 was an early-production D.H.4 with short undercarriage, Scarff ring mounted on the top longerons, and 250 h.p. Rolls-Royce engine.
D.H.4 A2148 with experimental 300 h.p. Renault 12Fe engine.
The 1 1/2-pounder C.O.W. quick firing anti-Zeppelin gun mounted in D.H.4 A2168. Long exhaust pipes replaced the short stacks of the standard aircraft.
A Westland-built D.H.4, N5978 of No. 5 Squadron, R.N.A.S., with built-up Scarff ring mounting.
Airco-built D.H.4 A7511 with 200 h.p. R.A.F. 3A engine.
A coastal patrol D.H.4 with twin float undercarriage.
American-built DH-4B with Grain flotation gear for test at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio.
U.S. Army Air Corps DH-4B serial A.S.64356 (McCook Field project number P226), showing the revised cockpit position an d oversize wheels.
Closely resembling the British civil D.H.4A, the DH-4B-5 serial A.S.23-1200 (project number P288), was one of a number of Engineering Division airway conversions.
DH-4C with 300 h.p. Packard 1A-1116 engine.
DH-4BW serial A.S.63897 (project number P133) with 300 h.p. Wright H engine, Hispano licence.
U.S. Navy DH-4Amb-1 ambulance conversion A6125.
DH-4B fitted with the complete wing cellule from a Loening COA-1 amphibian by the Gallaudet Aircraft Corporation in 1922. U.S. Army serial A.S.23-669 (project number P329).
The DH-4B Fiat engine testbed showing the large oval radiator.
The high altitude DH-4B serial A.S.63630 (project number P139), with lengthened undercarriage and geared, supercharged Liberty engine driving a four bladed, large diameter airscrew.
DH-4B serial A.S.63181 (project number P190) with turbo-supercharged Liberty. The radiator and intercooler were fitted between the undercarriage struts.
The DH-4B Curtiss D-12 engine testbed, serial A.S.64587 (project number XP277).
DH-4B testbed A.S.63737 (project number P188) with British-built Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar I radial.
The DH-4B testbed for the 420 h.p. Liberty V-1410 inverted engine later fitted to the XCO-7B.
The U.S. Army Air Attache's DH-4B at Stag Lane in 1926. The Naval Air Attache's DH-4B crashed at Whyteleafe, Surrey on September 21, 1926.
One of the forestry patrol D.H.4s used in Canada 1920-24.
The veteran D.H.4 three seater G-AUBZ of Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd. at Longreach in March 1923. A cabin top was fitted later.
G-AUBZ ''The Lachlan" modified for joyriding at Melbourne / Essendon in 1929 with five open cockpits and two ex QANTAS F.K.8 fuel tanks above the centre section.
The veteran D.H.4 G-AUBZ in service with Matthews Aviation Ltd. 1930 in its final form as D.H.4A VH-UBZ "Spirit of Melbourne" with D.H.50 centre-section tank.
The record-breaking D.H.4R racer photographed at Hendon after the 1919 Aerial Derby.
A single seat DH-4B mail plane of the United States Postal Department fitted with wingtip landing lights.
No. 299, the special postal DH-4B with Aeromarine wings and underslung mail compartment.
The DH-4B mailplane with Witteman-Lewis unstaggered wings and strengthened centre section.
One of a number of U.S. Mail single seaters rebuilt by Bellanca with single bay sesquiplane wings braced by Bellanca lift struts, and fitted with ailerons on the upper mainplane only.
NC489, one of the few surviving United States postal DH-4s, in its permanent home at Dayton U.S.A.F. Museum .
The metal fuselaged DH-4 was identified by prominent fuselage stringers. This example, a Boeing-built DH-4M-1, carried U.S. Army Air Corps serial A.S31202.
D.H.9 serial C6078 at Farnborough in 1918 equipped as the flying testbed for the prototype Napier Lion engine with heated carburettor.
A standard G. & J. Weir-built D.H.9 with 230 h.p. Siddeley Puma engine, at Renfrew in 1918 named "Georgetown" and inscribed 'Presented by the Munition Workers of the Scottish Filling Factory".
A Short-built D.H.9 D2825 with Siddeley Puma engine, modified with D.H.4-type nose radiator for deck flying trials on H.M.S. Eagle in 1921.
Modified to carry one stretcher case on top of the rear fuselage, D3117 was one of the D.H.9 ambulances used in Somali land in 1919.
D5748, a D.H.9 built by Waring and Gillow. The engine was a 250 h.p. Fiat A-12, recognised by the starboard mounted exhaust manifold.
Maj. E. L. Foot in the H.P.17 slotted research biplane at Cricklewood during the demonstrations of October 21, 1921. Formerly a standard D.H.9 H9140, it was flown against the unmodified sister aircraft G-EAUN seen in the background.
The so-called D.H. Mantis, a South African Air Force D.H.9 fitted at Roberts Heights with the 200 h.p. Wolseley Viper engine taken from an S.E.5A.
One of the Bristol Jupiter VI engined South African Air Force M'pala I general purpose aircraft.
A D.H.9 of the Netherlands Army Air Service, fitted in 1934 with a 465 h.p. Wright Whirlwind R-975 radial.
The second prototype D.H.9A, C6350, was a D.H.9 rebuilt at Hendon by the Aircraft Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
J6957, first of the much modified Lion engined D.H.9A general purpose aircraft built by the Westland Aircraft Works in 1926-27.
A tropicalised D.H.9A target tug J7307, c/n 124, with extra radiator, Handley Page slots, spare wheel and other "refinements", flying over Iraq in 1927.
J7787, c/n 202, first wholly new, non-Airco, D.H.9A built by de Havillands, ready for delivery from Stag Lane on January 12, 1926.
G-CYAJ, the Canadian Air Board D.H.9A in which F/Lt. C. W. Cudemore flew the Regina-Medicine Hat section of the first trans-Canada air mail on October 11, 1920.
The D.H.9A G-CYBF on skis at R.C.A.F. Camp Borden in February 1927.
Capt. Gerald Gathergood with the D.H.9R, K-172/G-EAHT, c/n GR/1, at Amsterdam in July 1919.
One of the Lion engined D.H.9A mailplanes used by Aircraft Transport and Travel Ltd. on the Cologne service in 1919-20. On its return to the R.A.F. as E752, this particular aircraft made pioneer deck landing trials on H.M.S. Eagle.
Fitted with a 350 h.p. Rolls-Royce Eagle VIII cooled by Lamblin radiators between the undercarriage legs, G-EBAN was one of a number of D.H.9As ferried to the Spanish Air Force by the Aircraft Disposal Co. Ltd. in 1922.
The D.H.9A serial H3588 with aircooled Liberty 12 engine at the R.A.E., Farnborough in 1933.
The experimental Vickers long stroke oleo undercarriage on D.H.9A E9895 at Brooklands in 1933.
One of the USD-9As built in Americain 1918 by the Engineering Division of the Army's Bureau of Aircraft Production, showing the rounded rudder.
The single seat pressure cabin USD-9A serial A.S.40118.
D.H.9A AI-28, with rear cockpit faired over, was winner of the 1928 Sydney Aerial Derby piloted by F/O Mulrooney R.A.A.F.
The D.H.9AJ Stag J7028, c/n 253, bombed up at Farnborough in 1926.
One of a squadron of twelve R-1 aircraft (Russian-built D.H.9As) presented to Afghanistan in 1925 and delivered over 15,000 ft. mountains from Tashkent to Kabul.
The D.H.3 prototype with 120 h.p. Beardmore engines.
B2612, a production D.H.6 with large rudder and elevator.
An Airco-built aircraft, B2840, in the so-called D.H.6A configuration with back stagger and reduced rudder and elevator chord.
D.H.6 with 90 h.p. Curtiss OX-5 engine.
A Spanish-built D.H.6 with rounded rudder, 140 h.p. Hispano-Suiza watercooled engine and Lamblin radiators between the undercarriage legs.
Flotation tests with an R.A.F. 1A engined D.H.6, A2098, at the Isle of Grain on June 14, 1918.
The D.H.6 G-EAWG fitted with Alula high lift wing by the Blackburn Aeroplane and Motor Co. Ltd. in 1920. The engine was a 200 h.p. Bentley B.R.2 rotary.
The well-known D.H.6 "Maysbus" G-EBEB of the Giro Aviation Co. Ltd. flying over Southport Sands.
C. D. Pratt stripping down the R.A.F.1A engine of his first joyriding D.H.6, G-AUDO, in the Australian outback in the 1920s.
A typical joyriding team with ground engineer, pilot (Capt. Martin) and ticket salesman at Cleethorpes in 1923 alongside the Martin Aviation Company's D.H.6, G-EAWT.
D.H.6 aircraft under construction by Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies Ltd. at their Orwell Works, Ipswich, in 1917.
The first prototype D.H. 10 with two 230 h.p. B.H.P. engines arranged as pushers. The cutaway main plane trailing edge was unique to this aircraft.
F8421, first D.H.10 of a batch of 75 ordered from Mann, Egerton and Co. Ltd., Norwich.
The D.H.10C prototype E5557 which took part in local races at Hendon in the summer of 1919 and later flew mails for Aircraft Transport and Travel Ltd.
E6042, the experimental twin ruddered D.H.10 in its final configuration at Farnborough in 1923.
THE RAILWAY HOLD-UP AND MAILS BY AEROPLANE: Post Office officials and the despatch and receipt of mails at Hounslow. 3. The D.H. 10 (Capt. Gathergood) flew with mails to Glasgow as its destination.
The Liberty engined D.H.10 civil mailplane G-EAJO operated by Aircraft Transport and Travel Ltd. in 1919.
View of the F.E.I showing the attachment points for the wing extensions.
Geoffrey de Havilland in the pilot's seat of his second biplane.
The B.E.1 with uncowled 60 h.p. Renault engine.
de Havilland in the Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.3 at Farnborough in 1912.
The F.E.2 in 1912 with 70 h.p. Gnome and Maxim machine gun.
Aerial Sites Ltd.'s three seat, banner-towing D.H.9, G-AACP, at the company's Hanworth base in 1936.
Originally intended for the Canadian section of Maj. W. T. Blake's World Flight in 1923, D.H.9 G-CAEU was fitted with the cabin of a D.H.9C and operated by the Laurentide Air Service on skis in 1924.
The prototype D.H.9C, G-EAYT, in which A. J. Cobham flew long distance charters for the de Havilland Hire Service in 1922.
The Aeroplane Hire Service D.H.9C G-EBDD.
A. J. Cobham taking off in the Lion engined D.H.9 G-EBEZ, c/n 66, in the 1923 King's Cup Race.
The other SNETA conversion O-BATA after modernisation as G-EBUM at Stag Lane in 1927 for the Vintcent-Newall India Flight.
D.H.9 H5627/G-NZAE, locally modified in New Zealand to seat two passengers in a small cabin, was used by the Canterbury Aviation Co. on the Christchurch-Blenheim mail service in 1922.
The D.H.9 in which Capt. H.C. Miller won the 2,390 mile Sydney-Perth Race in 1929. It is shown being groomed for the 1936 Brisbane-Adelaide Race.
"Albatross" flown by the Brisbane section of the Australian Aero Club in 1929, was typical of the majority of demilitarised 'straight Puma Nines' .
Seating two in the enlarged rear cockpit, the former A.T. & T. D.H.9B G-EAOZ, flew 153 hours with K.L.M. as H-NABF and was scrapped in 1924.
D.H.9C M-AAGA, c/n 12, of Cia Espanola del Trafico Aero after the fuselage had been widened and a glazed cabin installed by F. W. Hatchett.
G-AUFM "Ion", built at Longreach by QANTAS 1926-27 with D.H.50 mainplanes and the pilot behind the cabin.
O-BELG, a D.H.9 fitted with D.H.4A cabin top and underwing luggage containers by the Belgian concern SNETA.
One of the four Puma engined D.H.9s rebuilt by A.D.C. Ltd. as four seaters for the Danish Air Transport Company in 1920.
One of the D.H.9 floatplanes with which the Air Survey Co. Ltd. mapped the River Irrawaddy in 1924.
The de Havilland Aeroplane Hire Service fleet of D.H.9B and D.H.9C aircraft lined up at Stag Lane in 1922.
F2664, "H.M.A.P. Lady Iris", one of the D.H.4As used on the cross-Channel services of No.2 (Communications) Squadron, R.A.F., in 1919.
F2665, third D.H.4A conversion for No. 2 (Communication) Squadron.
F2699 refuelling at Marske-by-the-Sea, Co. Durham, early in 1919. It became G-EAHF with AT. & T. Ltd. in the following August.
Aircraft Transport and Travel Ltd.'s second D.H.4A. G-EAHG, during demonstrations at Interlaken in October 1919.
G-EAJC, the D.H.4A in which E. H. Lawford flew the first British commercial service from Hounslow to Le Bourget on August 25, 1919. The former R.A.F. serial F2702 is visible on the rudder.
The Cricklewood-based D.H.4A G-EAVL used by Handley Page Transport Ltd. from November 1920 until April 1921.
D.H.9J G-EBGT, c/n 82, of the de Havilland School of Flying showing the 385 h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar III radial and rubber-in-compression undercarriage.
Development flying of the 340 h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Serval IV radial was done with D.H9J G-AARS of the Armstrong Whitworth Reserve School, Whitley.
A number of D.H.9s were fitted with Jaguar engines and D.H.50 centre section tanks by the South African Air Force but they did not have the airframe improvements of the British D.H.9J.
The ancient D.H.9J, G-EAAC, in its Moth support role during the 1929 King's Cup Race.
K-130, first of Aircraft Transport and Travel Ltd.'s Eagle engined D.H. 16s, making a 'Joy Loan' pleasure flight at Harrogate on June 9, 1919.
The D.H.16 G-EALU "Arras" with which Capt. H. 'Jerry' Shaw inaugurated the first K.L.M. Croydon-Amsterdam service on May 17, 1920.
The penultimate D.H.16 G-EARU. c/n P.59, showing the Napier Lion installation.
J1938, first D.H.14 in R.A.F. markings, at Martlesham Heath in March 1921.
The long range Napier Lion engined D.H.14A G-EAPY, c/n E.46, in its original condition with two-wheeled undercarriage.
It crashed during the 1920 Aerial Derby while being raced by Fit Lieut F. S. Colton.
F. S. Cotton and W. A. Townsend taking off on their attempted London - Cape Town flight on February 2, 1920 and showing the special four-wheeled undercarriage.
The D.H.14A at Hendon in July 1920 after its rebuild by Airco with a third cockpit.
Although two D.H.15 Gazelle aircraft were ordered, only the second, J1937, was completed.