Книги

Putnam
C.Andrews
Vickers Aircraft since 1908
103

C.Andrews - Vickers Aircraft since 1908 /Putnam/

A Vickers F.B.19 Mk I in service with Soviet forces in company with a Sopwith Triplane.
A Weybridge-built F.B.19 Mk II Bullet, 1917.
S.E.5a fighter production in the first world war at the Birmingham works of Wolseley Motors, then a Vickers subsidiary.
S.E.5a production at Weybridge in the first world war; 1,650 were made there, by far the highest total in the country.
Head-on view of prototype E.F.B.5 revealing Levasseur-type propeller and semicircular stabiliser.
E.F.B.5 prototype in service under serial 664 with gun pylon added - sometimes described as F.B.4, although the E.F.B.4 was a project development of E.F.B.1.
First production F.B.5 at Brooklands for trials before delivery. The two seat Vickers FB 5, popularly known as the 'Gun Bus', had its origins in a visionary 1912 Admiralty requirement for a so-called fighting aeroplane, armed with a machine gun. The contract for this machine was placed with Vickers on 19 November 1912, where its development became somewhat protracted, the first production FB 5s, by now ordered for both the RFC and the RNAS, not reaching No 6 Squadron, RFC until November 1914, while the handful of RNAS FB 5s did not reach the front until early 1915. Powered by a somewhat unreliable 100hp Gnome Monosoupape, the FB 5's top level speed was 70mph at 5.000 feet, while the time taken to reach that altitude was 16 minutes. Excluding prototypes, around 136 FB 5s are known to have been produced by Vickers in Britain and Darracq in France.
One of the first batch of F.B.5s for the Royal Flying Corps presented by the City of Bombay to H.M. Government in 1914; this Gunbus was the pattern for the replica built in 1966.
The replica Gunbus built by the Vintage Aircraft and Flying Association (Brooklands) on an engine test flight piloted by 'Dizzy' Addicott with Alan Blower as observer.
A Gunbus on the Western Front in 1915 in traditional Christmas conditions.
F.B.12C re-engined with 100 hp Gnome monosoupape; its distinguishing feature is the excellent pilot's view provided by the raised nacelle.
A line-up of Vickers experimental aircraft at Joyce Green; (left to right) F.B.12C, F.B.14, F.B.11, F.B.16.
A line-up of Vickers experimental aircraft at Joyce Green; (left to right) F.B.12C, F.B.14, F.B.11, F.B.16.
The F.B.14D with Rolls-Royce Eagle engine and two-bay wings, in which Sir Vernon Brown and Sir Melville Jones had an exciting combat in July 1917.
F.B.14F with 150 hp Raf 4a air-cooled engine - an obvious attempt to find an alternative for the unsatisfactory 160 hp Beardmore.
Experimental civil conversion of F.B.14 at Bexleyheath, 1919.
F.B.16 Hart Scout in its original form with the Hart radial engine.
F.B.16E with Lorraine engine being completed in the French works of S. A. Darracq.
A line-up of Vickers experimental aircraft at Joyce Green; (left to right) F.B.12C, F.B.14, F.B.11, F.B.16.
The prototype F.B.26 with Hispano Suiza engine at Joyce Green, 1917, showing close resemblance to the F.B.12.
Rear view of one of the very few F.B.26 single-seat pusher fighters made, photographed in the winter of 1917,1918, the prototype having crashed in the previous August.
Prototype F.B.27 with Hispano Suiza engines before its first flight, made by Gordon Bell on 30 November, 1917; the F.B.19 Mk II was presumably one of the first known chase planes.
Prototype F.B.27 Vimy under final erection at Joyce Green in 1917; for the roll-out the floor of the hangar had to be recessed to provide height clearance for the completed aeroplane.
Prototype B9952 as re-engined with Salmson water-cooled radial engines.
Second prototype Vimy, B9953, with Sunbeam Maori engines, which was written off through an engine failure on flight trials.
A view inside Weybridge new erecting shop early in 1919 showing Vimy bombers under construction, and in the background, on the right, the prototype Vimy Commercial, on the left, the Transatlantic Vimy, less outer planes.
The Transatlantic Vimy being erected at Quidi Vidi airfield, near St John's, Newfoundland - later it was flown to Lester's Field for take-off.
Take-off of Alcock and Brown in Vimy for the first direct Atlantic flight, 14 June, 1919; photographer was H. J. Holloway of St John's, and the copyright was afterwards acquired by Vickers.
End of first direct Atlantic flight in the Derrygimla bog, Clifden, Co. Galway, Ireland, on 15 June, 1919.
Crew inspection of Vimy bomber selected for the England-Australia flight - in front, left to right Capt Ross Smith, Lt Keith Smith and Sgt W. H. Shiers; in rear cockpit, Sgt J. M. Bennett.
Take-off of Vimy for Australia on 12 November, 1919, from the old Hounslow airfield, the site of which was about two miles east of the present London Airport, Heathrow.
Australian Vimy G-EAOU running engines on Singapore racecourse preparatory to resuming flight.
Vimy G-UABA Silver Queen on the compass base at Brooklands, being inspected by Van Ryneveld and Quintin Brand before their attempt to fly to Cape Town.
AOC's inspection of 4 FTS equipped with Vimy trainers at Abu Sueir, Egypt, 1930.
Vic flight of Vimy bombers somewhere in Egypt.
A Vimy of an early Weybridge batch converted there as a Jupiter-engined trainer.
A Jaguar-engined Vimy trainer at Abu Sueir.
Jupiter-engined Vimys of the RAF Parachute Training School, Henlow.
Coventry Ordnance Works one-pounder gun mounted on a Vimy bomber - the complete installation was in adaptable kit form.
Vickers first aeroplane, the No. 1 monoplane, before its first flight at Joyce Green, Dartford, July 1911.
No. 2 monoplane at Brooklands in 1911 - the primitive giraffe-type servicing steps are interesting.
Nos. 3 and 5 monoplanes taxying at Brooklands - No. 5 has the deeper body - No. 4 closely resembled No. 3.
Side view of No. 7 disclosing reversion to the elaborate well-sprung four-wheel undercarriage of Nos. 1 to 5.
Staff of Vickers Flying School at Brooklands, pre-first world war, posing in front of Vickers-REP Monoplane; under propeller boss, R. H. Barnwell, chief instructor, also with cap, Archie Knight, assistant instructor.
No. 8 monoplane in Vickers Erith works, showing balanced elevators and sociable side-by-side seating first exploited in No. 6.
No. 8 monoplane packed for field transport on trailer and complete with ground crew in Napier car.
Vickers original fighting biplane under construction at Erith works only a few weeks before its public premiere at Olympia; on the right is the Wolseley engine, and in the background are B.E.2s being built.
Hiram Maxim's flying machine after its crash.
F.B.6 at Brooklands in 1914 with large overhang on top wing braced by pyramid kingposts.
E.S.I bearing Service markings for official trials at the CFS, Upavon.
E.S.2 or E.S.I Mk II, according to taste, in its war paint ready for Service trials.
Pierson development of E.F.B.7 was this E.F.B.8, designed as a twin-engined fighter for the Lewis gun seen parked against the nose; the oil slinger rings around the Gnome rotary engines are also of interest.
E.F.B.2 with Vickers machine-gun in trunnion mounting and clear-view side panels at Brooklands in 1912.
Experimental version of E.F.B.3 with revised fin and rudder and test instrumentation on starboard aileron strut.
Mr. Barnwell testing his engine before making a flight in the Vlckers gun-carrying biplane at Brooklands.
A line-up of Vickers experimental aircraft at Joyce Green; (left to right) F.B.12C, F.B.14, F.B.11, F.B.16.
F.B.24 experimental fighter-bomber with Hispano Suiza engine.
F.B.24C with Lorraine-Dietrich engine as built in France.
F.B.24E showing direct attachment of upper centre section to top longerons of fuselage - combat disposition of crew seems a problem, as this example was experimental, with the pilot in the rear seat.
The prototype Vimy Commercial being prepared for its first flight at Joyce Green in February 1919.
G-EAAV on a landing ground in the Sudan during the attempt by Vickers pilots Cockerell and Broome to fly to Cape Town, 1920.
G-EAAV Vimy Commercial (originally K-107 prototype) taking off from Brooklands on 24 January, 1920, for an attempt on the Cape flight.
G-EASI Vimy Commercial in its first livery of S. Instone and Co; later it wore that of Imperial Airways.
G-EASI taking off at Croydon for Paris in the very early days of civil air transport.
This Russian photograph of the so-called Vimy Commercial supplied to the USSR in 1922 reveals its true identity as a hybrid Vernon with Lion engines.
Interior of Vimy Ambulance showing unobstructed cabin typical of the Commercial series and continued in the Vernon and Victoria.
Prototype Viking amphibian in course of construction at Weybridge.
Prototype Viking amphibian, G-EAOV, in readiness for a test flight at Brooklands.
Viking II G-EASC at the Aero Show, Olympia, in 1920 behind wings of Vimy Commercial. At the rear is the Short Silver Streak and on the right the Martinsyde Type A Mk II civil transport.
Viking III taxying across Woodbridge-Felixstowe road at Martlesham for Air Ministry Competition, 1920.
Viking III taxying at Felixstowe during Air Ministry Competition, 1920, in which it won first prize for amphibians.
G-EAUK Mk III Viking during London-Paris centre-to-centre flights in 1921.
First production Viking amphibians; in centre Type 54 French order, and on outside, Dutch East Indies Type 55s with extended wing span.
Type 54 Viking F-ADBL as completed for delivery with cabin.
Leslie Hamilton's G-EBED, showing diagonal planking of hull and undercarriage-retracting rack quadrant.
Leslie Hamilton's Viking at Pobla, Spain.
Only photograph of Ross Smith's round-the-world Viking, in erecting shop at Weybridge.
A civil Viking for the Argentine with Eagle engine.
A Canadian Viking IV flying over typical lake terrain, exemplifying ideal use of amphibian aircraft.
Viking Mk V in Iraq, with uncowled Lion engine.