Самолеты (сортировка по:)
Страна Конструктор Название Год Фото Текст

Hansa-Brandenburg W.29

Страна: Германия

Год: 1918

Two-seat sea monoplane fighter

Hansa-Brandenburg - W.27 / W.32 - 1918 - Германия<– –>Hansa-Brandenburg - W.33 / W.34 / W.37 - 1918 - Германия


В.Обухович, А.Никифоров Самолеты Первой Мировой войны


Во второй половине войны в морской авиации Германии возникла острая потребность в современном поплавковом истребителе. Английские разведывательные летающие лодки и патрульные дирижабли все активнее действовали в Северном море и у берегов Франции. Многоцелевой гидросамолет W 12 уже не справлялся в полном объеме с возложенными на него обязанностями по перехвату воздушных целей, и в начале 1918 г. командир базы гидросамолетов в Зеебругге Фридрих Христиансен предложил Хейнкелю модернизировать его.
  Новый поплавковый истребитель Ганза-Бранденбург W 29 был разработан на базе W 12, что было продиктовано необходимостью скорейшего ввода самолета в боевую эксплуатацию. Второй немаловажной причиной для принятия такого решения была очень удачная конструкция предшественника. Конструктор Дорнье, возглавивший этот проект, оставил почти без изменения фюзеляж и хвостовое оперение. Их форма позволяла обеспечить стрелку достаточно большой сектор обстрела. Поплавки остались прежними. Коренной переработке были подвергнуты несущие плоскости. С целью максимального облегчения веса планера и уменьшения аэродинамического сопротивления бипланная коробка была заменена монопланным подкосным крылом довольно толстого профиля. Его площадь осталась примерно такой же, как у W 12, что было вызвано необходимостью сохранения приемлемых взлетно-посадочных характеристик. Законцовки крыла приобрели прямоугольную конфигурацию. Самолет был оснащен двигателем Бенц Bz.III (150 л. с.) с лобовым радиатором автомобильного типа. На машинах последних серий устанавливался двигатель Бенц Bz.IIIa (185 л. с). Первые сорок самолетов были вооружены одним синхронным пулеметом "Шпандау", а остальные - двумя. У стрелка был турельный "Парабеллум". Многие машины имели радиостанцию. Христиансен, приглашенный опробовать новый самолет в полете, оценил его очень высоко.
  В апреле 1918 г. первые истребители-гидросамолеты Ганза-Бранденбург W 29 были переданы в строевые части морской авиации. Самолет показал отличные данные: высокую скорость полета и хорошую маневренность. W 29 стал лучшим в мире для самолетов такого класса и грозным противником морской авиации Антанты. Однако пилоты обращали внимание на недостаточную дальность полета машины. Чтобы как-то преодолеть этот недостаток, был придуман оригинальный тактический ход, правда, осуществлять его можно было только в хорошую погоду. Группа W 29 приводнялась в заданном районе Северного моря, а разведку окружающей акватории вели W 19, имевшие большой радиус действия, Координаты обнаруженных воздушных целей передавались по радио и группа взлетала на перехват.
  11 августа 1918г. группа из четырнадцати W 29, возвращавшаяся из патрульного полета на базу в Боркум, обнаружила шесть британских летающих лодок и атаковала их. Только трем экипажам лодок удалось уйти от преследования и приземлиться в Голландии, где они были интернированы.
  Летом 1918 г. появился увеличенный вариант W 33, оснащенный двигателем Майбах Mb.IV (245 л. с).
  До окончания войны было произведено 190 машин двух вариантов. После войны самолеты выпускались в Норвегии, Финляндии, Дании, Японии. Всего было построено 482 самолета.


Двигатель 1 х Бенц Bz.III (150 л. с.)
Размеры:
  размах х длина х высота 13,50 х 9,36 х 3,00 м
Площадь крыльев 32,2 м2
Вес:
  пустого 1000 кг
  взлетный 1494 кг
Максимальная скорость 175 км/ч
Время набора высоты 2000 м 13 мин
Потолок 5500 м
Продолжительность полета 4 ч
Вооружение:
  стрелковое 1 (или 2) х 7,92-мм синхронный пулемет "Шпандау" и
   1 х 7,92-мм турельный пулемет "Парабеллум"
Экипаж 2 чел.


O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)


Brandenburg W 29

Without doubt the most notable of Heinkel's designs to come from the Brandenburg factory was the W 29 sea monoplane, which came into operation in April 1918.
In the early days of that year Christiansen had mentioned to Heinkel that a successor to the W 12 would soon be needed to maintain the edge in superiority over the Allied types then being encountered over the North Sea. Within the limits of the engines and material available # not to mention time # Heinkel concluded that only a monoplane, with its reduced drag and frontal area, could achieve the required results.
To conserve valuable time, the Brandenburg W 29 became what was virtually a monoplane version of the W 12. The fuselage, with the 150 h.p. Benz Bz III engine installation and car-type nose radiator, remained practically the same; the exhaust manifold was dispensed with and stub pipes fitted on the port side. As before, the whole of the fuselage raked upwards aft of the engine and remained a ply-covered wooden structure; the whole of the tail assembly, except for a slight alteration in tailplane shape, was the same as the W 12. The flotation gear and chassis arrangement also remained unchanged.
The monoplane wing was increased in span and chord until its area approximated that of the W 12. In plan form it was almost rectangular, there being only 1 1/2° of taper on both leading and trailing edges. The tips were blunt with rounded corners, and the horn-balanced ailerons were set within the contour; there were quadrant cut-outs at the roots of the trailing edges. The wings were rigged with 3° 20' dihedral in each panel and differed in depth and section throughout their length. At the root the section was thin and had some of incidence, the wing section then being gradually thickened until at the point where the float-chassis bracing struts were located it reached its maximum depth and was almost twice as thick as at the root, having been developed from a high-speed to a high-lift section. From then on towards the tip it again reduced in thickness, eventually becoming almost the same as the root section. Construction was conventional in being based on two wooden main spars with the ribs built up of ply and soft wood, the whole being fabric covered.
Armament of the Brandenburg W 29 varied. Of the seventy-eight machines supplied, forty were fitted with only one forward gun but carried radio equipment; the remaining aircraft were fitted with twin Spandaus and dispensed with the radio gear. Christiansen, on testing the prototype at Brandenburg, has been reported as being so pleased with the aircraft that he insisted on flying it back to Zeebrugge the next day for operational use!
Although not possessed of great range, it proved possible to evolve tactics to circumvent this shortcoming. When surface conditions were favourable the W 29 seaplanes would sit upon the waters of the North Sea while aircraft of greater range (W 19s, etc.) scouted ahead and then returned for # or called up # the W 29s as necessary.
A unique victory of the Brandenburg W 29s from Borkum seaplane station was the sinking of three British motor boats on 11th August 1918, the same day that Lt. Cully took off in his Sopwith Camel from a lighter in the North Sea to destroy the Zeppelin L. 53. A patrol of fourteen W 29s returning to Borkum encountered a flotilla of six C.M.B.s (Coastal Motor Boats: the equivalent of M.T.B.s in current nomenclature), which had earlier been lowered from larger surface craft to search for German mine sweepers. The W 29s immediately dived in to attack. The C.M.B.s, capable of some 40 knots, split up in twisting evasive action, but the seaplanes had every advantage, their machine-guns stabbing through the light ply superstructure of the boats with effortless ease. The boats crews returned the fire with their Lewis guns, but with little effect against such devastating odds, and one C.M.B. soon hove to with a silent engine-room. The Brandenburgs instantly concentrated upon this hapless target, literally ripping it apart with their machine-gun fire, so that it rapidly began to founder. Immediately a sister boat crashed alongside, taking off all the crew and wounded. Yet two more of the torpedo boats were destroyed by the seaplanes, the crews being taken off in turn by the surviving boats. A long rearguard action was fought by the three survivors, which, in parlous condition, eventually managed to reach the coast of Holland, where they were interned by the authorities.
Earlier in the year 1918, on the night of 22nd/23rd April, the famous raid on the Zeebrugge Mole by the Royal Navy had taken place. It is of interest to relate how little the seaplane operations from that location were affected. With typical German thoroughness the railway sheds on the Mole had a layer of reinforced concrete laid over them and had been converted into a seaplane station. When not in use the seaplanes were shackled to flat-top railway wagons under this cover, and when required for action the wagons were shunted on to the quay, where quayside cranes offloaded the aircraft directly into the water. A locomotive was constantly kept "in steam" ready to withdraw all aircraft-loaded wagons to the mainland should at any time a Naval assault take place. Consequently, when the Royal Navy raided the Mole and blocked the harbour the seaplanes were all withdrawn to the shore and were able to resume operations almost immediately.
At this time Oblt. R. Christiansen was commanding the Zeebrugge station with some fifty pilots under his control, and was not slow to exact revenge when, two days later, leading a flight of seven W 29s, he attacked two F 2a flying-boats from Felixstowe, shooting one down in flames.

TECHNICAL DATA
Description: Two-seat sea monoplane fighter.
Manufacturer: Hansa und Brandenburgische Flugzeug-Werke G.m.b.H.
Power Plant: One 150 h.p. Benz Bz III six cylinder in-line water-cooled engine.
N.B. Last four aircraft to be built were fitted with uprated Benz Bz IIIa of 185 h.p.
Dimensions: Span, 13.5 m. (44 ft. 3 1/2 in.). Length, 9.36 m. (30 ft. 8 1/2 in.). Height 30 m. (9 ft. 10 1/8 in.). Area, 32.2 sq.m. (347.75 sq.ft.).
Weights: Empty, 1,000 kg. (2,200 lb.). Loaded, 1,494 (3,286.8 lb.).
Performance: Maximum speed, 175 km.hr. (109.375 m.p.h.). Climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 6 min.; 2,000 m. (6,560 ft.) in 13 min.; 3,000 m. (9,840 ft.) in 23 min. Ceiling, 16,400 ft. Endurance, ca. 4 hr.
Armament: Forty aircraft with one fixed Spandau machine-gun forward (on starboard side) and one manually operated Parabellum machine-gun in rear cockpit. Thirty-eight aircraft fitted with additional Spandau forward.
Serials: Marine numbers of the seventy-eight aircraft delivered were: 2203-2206, 2287-2300 (1), 2501-2506(1), 2507-2536, 2564-2583(1), 2584-2587.
(1) One forward gun only.


W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters


BRANDENBURG W 29 Germany
  
  Evolved from the W12 two-seat patrol fighter biplane in parallel with the W 27, the W 29 was essentially a monoplane derivative of the former powered, in prototype form, by the 195 hp Benz Bz IIIbo eight-cylinder Vee engine. The span and chord of the monoplane wing approximated in area to the biplane wings of the W12, and the wing itself was a two-spar wooden structure with fabric skinning. The 150 hp Benz Bz III six-cylinder inline water-cooled engine was standardised for the production model of the W 29, which began operations with the German Navy in April 1918. Over 150 W 29s are known to have been delivered to that service in two basic versions, one equipped with radio and fitted with a single synchronised 7,92-mm LMG 08/15 machine gun plus a Parabellum on a flexible mount in the rear cockpit, and the other having two forward-firing LMGs and lacking radio equipment. The W 29, operating from Zeebrugge, Borkum and Norderney, achieved considerable operational success during the closing stages of World War I. In 1921, licence production of the W 29 was initiated by the Danish naval dockyard, 15 being built and these continuing in Danish Navy service until 1931.

Max speed, 109 mph (175 km/h).
Time to 3,280 ft (1000 m), 6.0 min, to 6,560 ft (2 000m), 13.0 min.
Endurance, 4 hrs.
Empty weight, 2,205 lb (1000 kg).
Loaded weight, 3,294 lb (1494 kg).
Span, 44 ft 3 1/2 in (13,50 m).
Length, 30 ft 8 1/2 in (9,36 m).
Height, 9 ft 10 1/8 in (3,00 m).
Wing area, 346.6 sqft (32,2 m2).
  m2).


J.Herris German Seaplane Fighters of WWI (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 2)


Brandenburg W29

  The W29 monoplane was based on the fuselage, engine, and floats of the W12 biplane. The sturdy struts bracing the floats did double duty bracing the wing, which had about the same area as both wings of the W12. The greatly reduced drag of the monoplane wing resulted in a notable speed increase with the same engines and payload. The increased speed of the W29 was welcomed because it made interception of the large Felixstowe flying boats easier, and the new monoplane set the standard for all future German wartime designs in its class.
  W29 production aircraft were powered by the 150 hp Benz Bz.III, 185 hp Benz Bz.IIIa, 175 hp Mercedes D.IIIa, or 185 hp BMW.IIIa, and had one or two fixed machine guns for the pilot (depending on the series) and one flexible gun for the observer. Elimination of the upper wing not only made the monoplanes faster, but stability was improved, as was the observer's field of fire and pilot's field of view.
  By naval standards the W29 was built in large numbers; 14 orders were submitted for a total of 239 aircraft, and 209 were built; the last batch of 30 ordered on 10 September 1918 was not completed due to the armistice.
  
Brandenburg W29 Production Orders
Order Date Marine Nos. Qty Category Engine Notes
17 Jan.1918 2204 1 C3MG 150 hp Benz Bz.III Type aircraft
17 Jan. 1918 2205 1 C2MG 185 hp BMW.IIIa
17 Jan. 1918 2206 1 C3MG 160 hp Mercedes D.III
13 Apr. 1918 2287-2300 14 C2MGHFT 150 hp Benz Bz.III 2287 was type aircraft
13 Apr. 1918 2501-2506 6 C2MGHFT 150 hp Benz Bz.III
13 Apr. 1918 2507-2536 30 C3MG 150 hp Benz Bz.III 2715 destroyed before accept.
25 May 1918 2564-2583 20 C2MGHFT 150 hp Benz Bz.III
30 May 1918 2584-2587 4 C3MG 185 hp Benz Bz.IIIa
30 May 1918 2588-2589 2 C2MGHFT 185 hp Benz Bz.IIIa
9 July 1918 2593-2642 50 C3MG 150 hp Benz Bz.III 2625 was C2MGHFT
9 July 1918 2643-2652 10 C3MG 185 hp BMW.IIIa
9 July 1918 2653-2682 30 C3MG 185 hp Benz Bz.IIIa
10 Sep. 1918 2730-2759 30 C3MG 185 hp Benz Bz.IIIa
10 Sep. 1918 2670-2789 30 C3MG 175 hp Mercedes D.IIIa None completed due to armistice


C.Owers Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI Vol.3: Monoplane Seaplanes (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 19)


Type W.29
  
  In his autobiography Heinkel famously describes how he decided to improve the W.12 biplane's performance by doing away with the upper wing and making it a monoplane. He sketched the basic design out on the back of a wine-list while at a night-club in Hamburg. Heinkel relished the tale that when the monoplane first circled over Warnemunde people rushed out shouting that a W.12 had lost it upper wing and was going to crash. P.M. Grosz credits Hanns Klemm as the engineer who designed the W.29 and who may well have conceived the concept for a monoplane.(1) It was thanks to Klemm's meticulous design and stressing that the W.29 was a success but only after making careful and considerable changes to the fuselage, floats and tail unit of the W.12, as well as designing the semi-cantilevered wings.(2)
  The monoplane that was designated the W.29, was, in general, similar to the biplanes particularly wi-th regard to tail, rudder, elevator, after body and floats. The pilot had a control wheel in his cockpit and was seated over the main fuel tank. Instruments comprised water and oil thermometers, a revolution counter and fuel gauge on the dashboard. Some floatplanes carried a cup-type ASI mounted on the wing beyond the compass. A triangular cellon covered door was situated in front of the pilot, and another of rectangular shape in front of the gunner. It was stated that the gunner could drop a 5-kg bomb through the opening when the door was removed. Up to four 5-kg bombs could be carried in the observer's cockpit. An anchor, lashed to a forward strut, was normally carried.
  The wings were constructed around two spars with a false spar carrying the ailerons. The wing section increased in thickness to the attachment of the undercarriage struts and then tapered down in section towards the wing tip. A liquid compass was mounted flush in the wing about 750 mm from the side of the fuselage. Again, as with the biplanes, in some cases it was illuminated with an electric light. The leading edge of the wing was ply covered in the wake of the propeller according to a USN report.(3)
  The floats were of the single-step type. The forward part of the step was flat bottomed, while the rear part was vee shaped ending at a vertical sternpost in a very sharp Vee. The sides were parallel to the step then tapered sharply to the stern. The floats were constructed of veneer and had six hand-hold plates for access to the watertight compartments. Wooden battens on the bottom of the floats acted as chafing strips. (All floats leaked and suffered badly from usage and were constantly replaced. Towards the end of the war duralumin floats were in use.) The struts attach to the floats at a special dished metal plate carrying the intersection point of the horizontal, vertical and diagonal struts.

(1) Then, as now, a single individual did not design the whole of an aeroplane. The design team worked under a chief engineer with all contributing to the final design. While Heinkel may not have come up with the idea of a monoplane, he was in overall charge and his contribution cannot be neglected. In a letter to the author P.M. Grosz revealed that he was biased on this point and that "the Heinkel bombast you can forget about." Letter to author 19.08.94.
(2) "Hansa-Brandenburg engineers, with the brilliant Dr.- Ing. Hanns Klemm as project leader, concluded that the elimination of drag would produce a superior fighting plane. The presence of float attachment points and struts meant that a bracing structure was already in place to support the monoplane wing... Klemm, the engineer who performed the static load analysis, something that Heinkel did not have the mathematical training to cope with..., But a modest man like Klemm had little chance against the overweening, bombastic, adulating publicity churned out by Heinkel and his PR-minions, especially after Hitler came to power." Notes from P.M. Grosz. The first page of the Heinkel Company's book, Typenschau 1910-1918, is headed "Flugzeugkonstruktionen Prof. Ernst Heinkels aus den Jahren 1910-1918," whereby Heinkel is effectively claiming credit for the Albatros designs listed therein.
(3) "Aircraft Technical Note No.132, German Brandenburg Seaplanes" Navy Dept., Bureau of Construction & Repair, 18.01.19. Copy supplied by Lee M. Pearson, Naval Air Systems Command.


Operational Use of the W.29

  One of the most spectacular attacks carried out by the W.29 fighters of Christiansen's 1 Staffel occurred on 6 July 1918. Krischan led an early morning patrol towards the British coast. They surprised the submarine C.25 running on the surface and attacked. The pressure hull was not capable of stopping the steel-jacketed bullets and the submarine must have been rendered unable to submerge as it continued at top speed on the surface, making no attempt to obtain the safety beneath the waves. According to the German account a crewman came in to the conning tower and opened up with a machine gun to try and ward off the attack. In response to a radio message, 2 Staffel took off and found the submarine being towed by a sister ship, the submarine E.51. As soon as the Germans were sighted, the tow was dropped and E.51 submerged. C.25 was again subjected to machine gun fire and bombing attack. The Germans thought that the submarine had sunk in the Thames Estuary but it reached safety with the Captain and five crew dead.
  On 4 June 1918, Capt. Leckie set out for the Haaks Light Vessel with four other flying boats to investigate wireless activity apparently related to Zeppelins. Leckie's patrol comprised F.2a N4295 (Leckie's boat), N4289 (Capt. J. Hodson) from Yarmouth, and N4302 (Capt. A.T. Baker), N4533 (Capt. R.F.L. Dickey) and Curtiss H.12 Convert 8689 (Ens. J.A. Eaton, USN) from Felixstowe. N4533 had alighted on the water due to a broken petrol feed pipe. Due to the heavy seas it was impossible for the boat to take off again and so Leckie signalled that they should taxi at speed to Dutch waters and burn the boat before they interned themselves. Five German fighting seaplanes appeared but turned away when the British boats turned towards them. One seaplane, 8689, took off in pursuit while the remaining boats continued to escort N4533 as it made its slow way towards the Dutch coast. 8689 was eventually forced down and the crew was interned in the Netherlands. The Germans returned with ten seaplanes and a battle commenced.(4)
  The enemy consisted of three very large two-seater machines about the size of our 310 Short, but with wings of equal span, and carrying synchronised guns. Four were of the usual two-seater type, the remaining three being scouts. In the middle of the action Captain Hodson, Corporal Beaumont and Air Mechanic Taverner reported that a machine attacking them from under their tail was shot down. This machine was seen to side-slip and spin into the sea, and there is little doubt was destroyed. It was observed from No.4295 that a hostile machine broke off the fight and was compelled to land in the sea about 15 miles north of Ameland. This machine is believed to be one of the large types already mentioned. His landing was observed by Major T. Haggerston, Captain Leckie, and Air Mechanic Chapman. He made a bad landing, bouncing very heavily, but the extent of his injuries cannot be stated. It is believed that the remainder of the squadron must have received considerable punishment as the encounter was fought at very close quarters, the enemy taking first opportunity of steering east, and was last seen steering in this direction. At 5.15pm, knowing that the Felixstowe machine had only sufficient petrol left to bring them back to base, and as 4533 was then two to three miles from land, I decided to return to base. At this time the only machine with me was No.4389, No.4302 having been forced to land in Dutch waters between Terschelling and Vlieland. Repairs were effected promptly, and although wing tip float was crashed on landing, machine succeeded in getting off again, joining me at the Haaks.
  On landing it was discovered that a machine seen on the water with a Dutch trawler standing nearby must have been 8689, and it was evident it had developed engine trouble and been forced to land. Leckie completed his report by stating that "these operations were robbed of complete success through faulty petrol pipes... It is obvious that our greatest foe are not the enemy, but our own petrol pipes."(5)
  N4533 was shot up on the water and set on fire, the victory being granted to Oblt. F. Christiansen in W.19 MN 2239.(6) The crew of Capt. R.F.L. Dickey, DSO, Capt. R.J. Paul, Lt. A.G. Hodgson, 2AM E. P.C. Burton and A.C.H. Russell were all interned in the Netherlands.
  Lt. Vernon F.A. Galvayne was second pilot on N4302 and was shot through the head. As to German losses, a seaplane was washed up on one of the Dutch islands with its German pilot shot through the heart.
  In addition to being aggressive fighters the Zeebrugge airmen were regarded by the British as "good sportsmen" as the following incident shows. On 6 June Curtiss H.12B N4345 from Felixstowe was shot down by five German seaplanes. They could have completed their attacks on the flying boat after it was wrecked but one landed and pointed to shore, presumably indicating that help was coming. The crew were found and picked up by another Large America flying boat sent out to search for them.
  On the next day B.E.2c 8417 from No. 273 Squadron left Yarmouth on an anti-submarine patrol when it was spotted by five Zeebrugge seaplanes. The Germans attacked the B.E.2c that carried bombs but no machine guns. Lt. G.F. Hodson managed to avoid the initial attack and then a Short floatplane, N1693, came into view and the Germans turned to attack this aircraft. The Short was cut off and forced to head out to sea. The German machines engaged in a one-sided duel with the Short flying about 30 feet above the sea. The pilot of the Short, 2/Lt. R.W.A. Ivermere, saw two motor-launches about seven miles away and made for them. They immediately took up the fight with their Lewis guns and 3-pounder Hotchkiss guns. N1693 landed near the launches but the attack continued. The Short's observer, 2AM S.E. Bourne, kept up his fire although he was wounded twice. Ivermere noted that the machine showed signs of sinking and we were so hopelessly out-matched that I gave the observer orders to cease fire and get into the water under the machine. We both climbed out of the machine into the water, between the floats, constantly ducking to avoid the bursts of machine-gun fire. After about another five minutes’ continuous attack the enemy flew off in a south-west direction and we were picked up by the motor-launch 129. (7)
  The motor launches had been shot up as well, one being put out of action by damage to the engine room.
  The German seaplanes were not adverse to taking on the redoubtable Sopwith Camel as an action of 18 July shows. On this occasion two Short floatplanes, N2927 and N2837, with two Camels, B5601 and B7269, as escort, were on patrol between the Kentish Knock and the Sunk Light Vessel, when six or seven Brandenburg monoplanes of SFL I with Christiansen in command surprised them from out of the sun. One Camel claimed a seaplane; however, this does not appear in the losses of the Flanders I Naval air station. Soon after the commencement of the fight the guns of the other Camel had jambed and could not be cleared. The pilot was left with making feint attacks to disrupt the attacks of the Germans. One of the Shorts landed on the water while the other made for Westgate, but never arrived. It was later claimed by a Zeebrugge pilot. Meanwhile, a German seaplane landed alongside the other Short and the fight continued until the Short caught fire and sank. The two Camels returned to their aerodrome at Manston much shot up.
  German accounts of the action are brief. On that date I.C-Staffel under Christiansen undertook a long-range reconnaissance of the Kentish coast, and met with a pair of Shorts escorted by a pair of landplane scouts. In the ensuing combat, both Shorts were shot down and destroyed, while combats with the land scouts proved inconclusive. Several photos of the downed Shorts that had been taken by Christiansen's companions were published in the official reporting of the incident. The Zeebrugge war diary records only that I.C-Staffel flew a reconnaissance and downed two Shorts. A separate German source states that one of the accompanying crew were Flgobmt. Urban (p)/Ltn.d.RMA Erhardt (o) who were flying a W.29. To date no German casualties have been identified in available sources or authorities.
  The weather must have been unfavorable for flying over much of the region on that day, for Ostend made no flights due to the weather, and Norderney undertook no reconnaissance missions for the same reason. Borkum Kasta 4 attempted the only reconnaissance of the day from that station, and that too was curtailed due to the weather. Helgoland also managed but one reconnaissance of two aircraft. Only List, far to the North, had more maritime flying activity.(8)
  Although not identified by the British or in the German accounts, with the one exception recorded above, the aircraft would have been the W.29 with possibly an accompanying Friedrichshafen floatplane as was normal practice.

(4) The number of enemy seaplanes varies with different accounts. Henshaw states ten enemy aircraft. Notwithstanding what the actual number was, it was the biggest seaplane battle of the war.
(5) Report reproduced in Jones, HA. The War in the Air, Vol.VI. P.362.
(6) According to Above the Lines, Grubb Street, UK, 1993, N4533 was attacked while taxing on the water.
(7) Ivermere's report is reproduced in Jones, HA. The War in the Air, Vol.VI, P.378.
(8) The only clear mention of aircraft types in German documents would be the source which puts Urban/Erhardt in a W.29. However, 1.C-Staffel would have had W.29s by this time, so it is probable that this unit consisted entirely or mostly of that type. How many aircraft were in the 1.C-Staffel formation isn't clearly stated in the German accounts. If they were escorting other machines, these would possibly be Friedrichshafens.
  Unfortunately, the Zeebrugge war diary is one of the least informative war diaries in the entire German navy. By this time of the war, it usually only mentioned how many patrols were flown each day, and did not mention types used. Additional detail was extremely rare. For this day, it did mention that two Short seaplanes were shot down - but that's about the extent of the additional information they provided.
  The amount of detail provided in the diary of nearby Ostend (2 & 4.C-Staffel) wasn't much better. In the few mentions of Staffel strength which occur, units were patrolling with four to five Brandenburgs. Often they too would only mention how many patrols were flown each day.
  The Borkum Staffeln at this time normally flew with a mix of three or four Brandenburgs and an FF49C as a W/T machine. In attacks, the W/T aircraft usually held back and left the offensive work to the Brandenburgs. Norderney Staffeln patrolled with three Brandenburgs and two FF49C floatplanes. Research by R. Kinter.


The W.29 in Turkey

  Twenty-five W.29 monoplanes were despatched in July 1918 to Turkey whether for the use of German units in Turkey or Turkish forces is unknown. There is confusion in published documents as to the numbers and types of Brandenburgs shipped to Turkey. The receipt or use of W.29 monoplanes in Turkey is unconfirmed despite some sources stating that two W.29 fighters had been received in June 1918 by the German Naval seaplane group. The following floatplanes are those known to have been shipped to Turkey: MNs 2018 (in transit October/November 1918), 2110 and 2112 in July 1918. These aircraft are W.12 floatplanes, not W.29 monoplanes. It is not clear if the type or the Marine Nummer was incorrectly documented. This time frame does not fit with any of the known aircraft shipments from Germany. W.29 monoplanes MNs 2502, 2505, 2630, and 2632 - 2636 were in transit to Turkey during October/November 1918. Their fate is unknown.(9)

(9) Nikolajsen, O. Op Cit.


The W.29 in the Netherlands(10)

  Fritz Stormer recounts how he picked up a new W.29 with one of the pilots of his Staffel from the test center at Warnemunde and on the return trip in the new floatplane they had to land at Norderney to refuel. Then on to the Hohe Texel where they were to fly past Netherlands territory without violating Dutch neutrality, and from there back to base at Zeebrugge. When the engine began to act up they turned back, but were forced to alight in a heavy northwest wind. The machine now drifted steadily towards Dutch waters. A twin-engined Friedrichshafen seaplane had been sent out to help but could not tow the W.29. They were so close to shore they could see people watching the continuing drama, and so Stromer shot up his own aircraft in order that it did not fall into the hands of the Dutch. The men on shore immediately opened fire on the seaplane and kept this up until they took off. Stormer lost his uniforms and other items that were carried on the W.29.(11)
  The Dutch record that W.29 MN 2292 alighted near Rottumeroog at 09.00 on 10 August 1918. Another aircraft attempted to tow it away to international waters but failed and took the crew off. The monoplane was then set on fire by machine gun fire by the rescue aircraft. The machine was later beached and the badly damaged engine was purchased for f 500 and was used in the W.29 that received the serial W.2.
  A W.29, recorded as MN 2601, "N.84", alighted due to engine problems on 24 October 1918. The crew was Flugmaat C. (Kurt) M. Schubert and Flugobermatrose (F) P. Wernecke (or Weineke?). This machine was given the serial W.2 but was not purchased. On 17 February 1919, an offer was made for the motor. Although the acquisition of an airworthy W.29 would seem to have been welcome by the Netherlands MLD, the offer to purchase the aircraft was cancelled in February 1919. No further information as to its fate is known.
  If not purchased the interned German aircraft had to be handed back. Due to differences of opinion between Germany and the Allies, no doubt over the forbidding of German aviation under the Peace Treaty, no decision was taken with the result that the landplanes were sold as scrap in 1925/1926 with the proceeds going to the Germany Government. What happened to the seaplanes is not known.

(10) This section is based on the research of Fritz Gerdessen.
(11) Stormer, Dr. F. "Seaplanes in Combat", Cross & Cockade Journal, USA, Vol.20 No.2, 1979, P.107.

Brandenburg W.29 Production
Marine Nummers Class Engine Delivered Notes
2204 C3MG Bz.III May-Jun. 1918 Prototypes, ordered 17 January 1918
2205 C2MG BMW.IIIa
2206 C3MG D.III
2287-2300 C2MGHFT Bz.III Apr. 1918
2501-2506 C2MGHFT Bz.III Apr. 1918 2278 MGMK. Some aircraft CHFT2MG
2507-2536 C3MG Bz.III Apr. 1918 2517 destroyed before acceptance
2564-2583 C2MGHFT Bz.III May-Jun. 1918 From 2565 modified tailplane
2584-2587 C3MG Bz.IIIa 2584 subject of Brandenburg three-view
2588-2589 C2MGHFT Bz.IIIa
2593-2642 C3MG Bz.III
2643-2652 C3MG BMW.IIIa
2653-2682 C3MG Bz.IHA 2679 Mb.IVa
2730-2759 C3MG Bz.IIIa
2760-2789 C3MG D.IIIa None delivered
  

Brandenburg W.29 Specifications
Source Typenschau Gray & Thetford SVK MN 2204 Brandenburg 3-View MN 2584
Span, m 13.50 13.5 13.500 13.500
Chord (max), m - - 2.800 2.700
Length, m 9.35 9.36 9.350 9.360
Height, m - 3.0 3.100 -
Wing Area, m2 31.60 32.2 31.60 32.2
Ailerons 1.80 - 4x0.85 1.80
Elevators 1.20 - 1.3 1.20
Rudder 0.55 - 0.47 0.55
Empty Wt, kg 1000 1000 1000 1000
Loaded Wt, kg 1463 1494 1463 1494
Performance
Speed in km/hr 178 175 164 175
Time to 800 m 4.2 minutes - 4.2 minutes -
Time to 1000 m 5.9 minutes 6 minutes 5.9 minutes 6.0 minutes
Time to 1500 m - - - 9.5 minutes
Time to 2000 m - 13 minutes 15.8 minutes 13.0 minutes
Time to 3000 m - 23 minutes 33.0 minutes 23.0 minutes
Endurance - 4 hours (approx.) - -
Engine 150-hp Benz Bz 3a, 185-hp Benz 150-hp Benz Bz.III; 185-hp Benz Bz.IIIa 150-hp Benz.(Bz.III) 185-hp Benz (Bz.IIIa)

  
The UFAG Type C

  The Austro-Hungarians were constantly opposed by strengthening Italian, British and French forces in the Adriatic theatre of operations, and on the success of the W.29 endeavoured to purchase the type for the kuk Kriegsmarine, but the effort was not successful. The UFAG Company at Budapest obtained the licence to produce the W.29, not surprisingly, as it was part of the Castiglioni consortium.
  Twenty-five Brandenburg monoplanes were ordered from UFAG on 26 August 1918. The first three were to be delivered by 31 October, and the remainder by 31 December 1918. The total cost was Kr. 100,000 each. Initially serials allocated to the proposed machines were A181-A205. The serials were then changed to R200-R224 (3 July 1918), the R denoting Rekognaszierung (reconnaissance). The shortage of fighters was overcome by using Phonix D.II landplanes and the new Mickl defence flying boats. The need was for reconnaissance aircraft and the W.29 could fulfil both roles. However a new classification was drawn up for two-seat fighter aircraft and the serials were again changed on 5 August, this time to C1-C25. C1 was the only UFAG C to be completed before the end of hostilities and the only one to wear the dual monarchy insignia. It was powered by a 185-hp Austro-Daimler engine and armament was a fixed synchronised Schwarzlose machine gun on the port side and a similar weapon on the gun ring for the observer. First flight was on 25 October 1918. The seaplane apparently had good flight characteristics but no official data has been discovered to date.
  With the end of the war there were apparently ten machines in various stages of construction at UFAG. Some were to appear in the red star of the Bela Kun Communist government after the takeover by the Communists in March 1919 all industry was nationalized and production was continued. Photographs show C3, so at least three were completed. C1 is reported to have been used by the 9th Viziepulo Szazad. (Floatplane Squadron) under the command of Wollemann Istvan, together with some K-class flying boats. They operated from the Danube River during operations against the Czechoslovakian and Rumanian forces that year. Their main occupation was patrolling the Danube from Baja to Apati. The W.29 was used for ground strafing attacks. Nothing further on the use and fate of these aircraft is known.


The Danish Royal Dockyard H.M.l.

  In the spring of 1912, a Danish copy of a Henri Farman biplane was presented to the Danish Navy leading to the Danish Royal Naval Flying Service being formed that year with a miscellaneous collection of aircraft. Before the 1914-18 war, the Orlogsvaerftet, Royal Naval Dockyard, at Copenhagen, had begun to produce flying boats of original design.
  The Royal Danish Navy bought a single W.29 from German sources on 14 July 1919.(12) Using this aircraft as a pattern, a further 15 were constructed at the Orlogsvaerftet from 1921 to 1927. The aircraft was known as the H.M.I in Danish service. The machines were allocated Danish serials 20 to 30; serials 21 to 24 and 26 were used twice. The German example was serial 24.
  The Danish aircraft were identical to the German original. A 150-hp Benz or a 160-hp Royal Dockyard built O-V six-cylinder, water-cooled engine provided power. Armament was a single synchronised Vickers machine gun mounted on the starboard side for the pilot and one or two Disa (Madsen] machine guns on a Scarff-type mounting for the observer. The Vickers were introduced in 1924 but removed in the spring of 1927 in order to solve weight problems. The guns were later fitted to the Hawker Dankoks fighter biplanes.
  On the formation of the 1st Luftflotille (Air Squadron) for naval co-operation work on October 12, 1926, the H.M.I, together with a solitary, barely airworthy Friedrichshafen FF.49 (HB.II), were assigned to the new unit. The H.M.I proved to carry too small a payload to be of much use.
  Many useful tests were carried out by the H.M.I floatplanes, including laying smoke screens, radio communications, and especially shipboard deployment with the fleet. The survey ship Willemoes was used on occasions as a seaplane tender for the H.M.I monoplanes. One H.M.I was carried by the coastal defence ship Pedet Skram.
  The H.M.I seaplanes underwent many changes in their long life with the Danish Navy. The short German exhausts were replaced by long exhaust manifolds discharging behind the wing. Persistent stability problems were finally overcome in 1925 when the elevators were enlarged in area. The fixed machine gun was removed to cure the type's nose heaviness. 1925 also saw the fitting of a windscreen for the observer, and an auxiliary fuel tank could be attached below the fuselage. Some aircraft were equipped with Telefunken radio equipment and there was also a dual control modification.
  In 1928 the H.M.I was succeeded by the Heinkel He.8 (H.M.II) in Danish service, the last two H.M.I seaplanes being written off in 1930.

(12) "The Brandenburg Sea Monoplanes," by C.B. Maycock, (Model Aircraft, UK, October 1954), note that a W.29 was forced down and interned in Denmark and Allied engineers examined it there.This could well be the case with the machine purchased after the end of hostilities, but this story has not been confirmed. Andersson and Sanger, (Retribution and Recovery - German Aircraft and Aviation 1919 to 1922, Air Britain, UK, 2014) record that at least three W.29 floatplanes were imported from Germany from 1919.


H.M.I Specifications
Specification Value
Span 13.5 m
Length 9.3 m
Height 3.55 m
Empty Weight 1160 kg
Loaded Weight 1500 kg
Max. Speed 165 km/h
Landing Speed 75 km/h
Engine 160-hp O.V.


The W.29 in Norway

  The first Brandenburg in Norway was a W.29 floatplanes purchased from Germany by A.S. Norsk Aeroplanfabrikk in Tonsberg. This received the registrations N-7 for the delivery flight but this was immediately changed to N-5 after arrival on 28 February 192O.(13)
  Through his contacts in Germany Lt Christian Hellesen had negotiated to purchase five aircraft. It would appear that the purchase was semi-legal as the aircraft had been ordered to be destroyed under the terms of the Peace Treaty. Permission was obtained from the Norwegian Ministry for Defence for the purchase of the aircraft and engines and for visas for the German pilots to fly the aircraft to Norway. Hellesen travelled to Berlin by train and arranged for the purchase of a W.29 and four Friedrichshafen FF 49C floatplanes. It was thought that the aircraft had come from Warnemunde. The hangar in which they were stored burned down and it was not possible to prove that the aircraft had not been in the hangar and were destroyed in the fire. One FF 49C crashed on the journey to Norway but the others arrived safely despite their having to use benzyl as no pure petrol could be obtained.
  N-5 was probably MN 2671 that had allegedly left for Denmark at the end February. It was reported destroyed in a fire to cover its export. Another W.29 was apparently imported by Norsk Aeroplanfabrikk as two W.29 floatplanes were leased to the Haerens Flyvevaben (Army Air Force) by the factory in May and both were purchased in late 1920, and enter into Army service as the Make (Seagull). They were apparently fitted with dual controls but could be quickly reconverted with the gun ring operational in the rear cockpit. The first was taken over on 4 October 1920 and allocated the Army serial 501. This machine is stated to have been the machine registered as N-7, then N-5.(14) It was first flown by the Army on the 8 th but on the 14th if suffered a major casualty. It crashed on landing and was dismantled and sent to Kjeller for repair. On 10 August 1922, the repaired machine was railed to Bergen where it was flown on the 29th. In 1928 all floatplanes were handed over to the Navy. 501 had accumulated 108:20 hours flying time by then. It was scrapped late in 1928.
  The second W.29 was given the Army serial 503 when commissioned on 22 November 1920, being flown by the Army for the first time with a test flight on 7 December. This machine was loaned to the North Norwegian Flyveavdeling for exercises in 1923 and 1924. The Benz engine was replaced with 185-hp BMW engine in 1923. It appears that 503 was stored at Horten from December 1925 until 1928, having only accumulated 60:50 hours flying time when handed over to the Navy. At this time the Make aircraft were examined prior to being handed over and 501 was serviceable though the floats needed taring. 503 had only just been able to taxi during the last exercises it took part in. Neither of the two W.29 seaplanes was given a Navy registration number. It is presumed that they were used for ground instruction if indeed they were taken on charge by the Navy.
  According to J. Hover, Ltn. Cmdr. Christian Hellesen bought two W.29 seaplanes from Germany in 1919/1920. "Hellesen designed a new ski-wheel undercarriage for these W.29 for competition purposes in 1921, but it crashed in one of its first flights."(15) A W.29 with registration N-5 painted on the fuselage, was fitted with the cumbersome land undercarriage and crashed on 5 March 1921, before being officially registered.(16) This second N-5 was built from parts that Hellesen had imported or had constructed at A/S Norsk Aeroplanfabrikk. This confusing duplication of registrations and the proposal to build the W.29 is probably the reason that A/S Norsk Aeroplanfabrikk is reported to have actually built the W.29.
  The Norsk Aeroplanfabrikk then contracted to build six W.29 floatplanes with 225-hp engines for the Army. The contract was in the amount of 180,000 Kroner and the factory was in dire need of the funds, the advance of 135,000 Kroner enabling the factory to continue in operation. The factory was in trouble despite the Army's advance and went bankrupt on 25 June 1921. The Army and bank took over the completion of the contract, this being finalised in December 1929.(17)
  Seven machines were under construction at the Norsk Aeroplanfabrikk about the time when it went bankrupt. Some references state these were a hybrid between the W.29 and W.33,(18) but J. Hover provides compelling evidence that they were actually standard W.33 floatplanes as noted in the W.33 story below. Six of the machines were completed for the Norwegian Army at the Hauens Flyvemaskinfabrikk (Army Aircraft Factory) under the designation Make II and powered by a 220-hp Benz. They were delivered on 30 June 1922. The other was delivered before the factory went bankrupt to J.L.Tidemanns Tobacco Factory in Oslo as a five-seat civil conversion of the W.33 powered by a 300 hp Maybach engine. It received the civil registration N-21.

(13) Hagby, K. Norwegian Civil Aircraft since 1919, An Illustrated Register Survey, Midland Counties Publications, UK.
(14) Mulder, R. Tancred Ibsen and A/S Aero, www.europeansirlines.no/doc/Aero_270904.htm. 19.12.2005.
(15) Letter from J Hover to author, 12.06.76.
(16) AviationSafetyNetwork website, date 18.07.14.
(17) Mulder, R.A/S Norsk Aeroplanfabrik(1918-1921) - The first private aircraft factory in Norway, www.europeanairlines.no/doc/NorskAeroplanfaabrik_100504.htm. 03.02.207.
(18) Hofsten, B. "MAKE,' I Haerens Flyvevaben, Norsk Flyhistorisk Tiosskrift Journal, No.2, 1975.


The W.29 in Imperial Japanese Navy Service(19)

  Japan received 15 W.29 floatplanes as part of its war reparations from Germany, including four that had been built illegally after the war. MN 2742 is the only known machine of these. This has been reported as a Type W.33, however dimensional data confirm that the aircraft was a W.29. The machine arrived in Japan in 1921 and was selected by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service (IJNAS) to replace their Yokosuka Ro-go Ko-gata biplane reconnaissance seaplanes. Aichi were instructed to make the necessary design changes to fit the Mitsubishi-built 200-hp Hispano-Suiza engine and Japanese practice and to arrange to manufacture the monoplane. The V-8 engine was mounted behind a flat radiator that gave the W.29 a pugnacious appearance.
  Ten prototypes were constructed, four by Aichi and six by Nakajima.(20) Acceptance trials commenced in 1923. With limited visibility and poor directional control on the water the re-engined W.29 was not liked by its pilots. The high wing loading made it less manoeuvrable than the Ro-go Ko-gata it replaced. It was difficult to land and had limited downward visibility and poor directional control on the water making it difficult to control. An engineering team from Short Brothers in the UK had come to Japan in 1921 and their design to replace the Ro-go Ko-gata, the Yokosuka/Short Type 10, was less promising. Despite unfavourable criticism of the W.29 it was chosen as the successor and orders to manufacture the type were given in 1924 before it was formally adopted in 1925. In Japanese service it was named the Hansa-shiki Suij Teisatsu-ki (Hansa Model Reconnaissance Seaplane).
  There are improbable numbers given for the Japanese production of the Hansa floatplane. Nakajima is given as manufacturing 160 and Aichi 150 by some sources,(21) while others state Nakajima 64 and Aichi 92. A total of 310 seems an improbable number as they did not replace the Ro-go Ko-gata, this biplane continuing to be built up to 1924, and continued to serve alongside the Hansa monoplanes. A total of 180 (Nakajima 30) appears to be a more reasonable figure.
  In May 1924 one Hansa was converted to an amphibian but was not a success. The carrier Hosho carried six in the 1924 war games, and two in the 1925 games. Other ships carried one at times including battleships and light cruisers. The seaplane carrier Wakamiya is also recorded as carrying the type. The type was not liked in Japanese service. The US Naval attache forwarded a report from an Osaka newspaper of 16 April 1925. This article noted that on 14th
  Kasumigaura saw the fatal fall of another Hansa and the instantaneous death of 1st Sub-Lieutenants Mizunaga and Ham who were aboard. Since the opening of the present year, the Naval Air Force is saddled with accidents occurring in rapid succession to machines of the Hansa type alone. The list of disasters was opened with the drop and death of Pupil Pilots Seto and Horie on their backward flight from Kasumigura to Yokosuka on February 11. Another machine was compelled to alight on the water near Masumigura on March 17; and while being towed, it turned over and sent 5 men down, never to rise again. On the following day, the 10th, also, a machine operated by 1st Class Seaman Tajiro fell at Tsuchiuri. At Ohhama in Makai, Pilot Iguchi got a fall while making an air trial of a machine of this type.
  Suspicion has arisen that such frequency of accidents to Hansa machines alone is due to the presence of some imperfection in design of the type. The matter is gradually attracting the attention of those interested in aviation. According to Official ... now staying in Osaka, the Hansa seaplane is at present an excellent craft representative of the German aviation world.
  The article noted that the type was first used for training in 1923.(22)
  An intelligence report by a Capt. C.V. Robinson of the Royal Navy, in January 1929 reported that 18 Hansa seaplanes, "first line machines," were in service at Kasumigaura for training. The Type 15 was replacing the Hansa for training purposes.(23) The Hansa continued to serve until April 1929 when it was removed from the listing of operational aircraft. It continued to serve as a training aircraft into the early 1930s. Once released by the IJNAF the type was taken into civilian usage. The Nippon KokuYuso Kenkyusho (Japan Air Transport Research Institute) acquired about 30. Other small civilian airlines also received some. The type was used for mail carrying, spotting fish, and transportation. Cabin conversions were made that could take up to four passengers. The number that went into civil use is not known.
  As part of the Armistice and Peace conditions Germany was forced to hand over or destroy all their military aircraft to the victorious Allies. On 30.6.20 four of the seaplanes at Haage (one twin-engined Gotha, one four-engined Gotha, one 260-hp Hansa Brandenburg, one 220-hp Sablatnig) were earmarked for Italy. The following Brandenburgs are known to have been received by Italy - W.29 MN 2669, 2737 and 2741; W. 19 MN 2687 and 2688.

(19) Much of the information in this section comes from Starkings, P. "Hansa: Wine-List Sketch Produces Vintage Design." Arawasi International, Issue 7, 2007, P.20.
(20) Noboru Saito worked as a designer in the design department of Nakajima and in his memoir tells how he examined the wreckage (this is assumed to mean that the aircraft was dismantled) at the Naval Establishment for Aeronautical Research in Tsukiji, Tokyo, and drew up a set of construction plans for the manufacturing of the aircraft.
(21) Mikesh, R. & Shorzoe, A. Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941, Putnam, UK, 1990. The same number was also nominated by Koku Fan in a letter to the author dated 05.04.76, as are the given specifications.
(22) "Hansa Planes Cursed with Accidents", Report dated 20 May 1925. Copy in Smithsonian NASM Technical File AA-187720-01 Aichi Brandenburg W.29.
(23) Robinson noted that the "officer pilots are being generally under rated by people who do not actually see them in action and as being much better than is usually supposed... Overconfident and courageous to a fault, in time of war they would gladly attempt the impossible." Copy of British Intelligence Report of 18.01.29, with Australian ALO's quarterly letter. H.N. Wrigley to Air Board, 09.04.29. Australian Archives A705/1 Item 114/6/38.


Hansa-shiki Suij Teisatsu-ki Specifications
Specification Value
Span 13.57 m
Length 9.28 m
Height 2.996 m
Empty Weight 1470 kg
Loaded Weight 2100 kg
Max. Speed 91 knots
Service Ceiling 4,500 m
Climb 3,000m in 23 minutes
Endurance 4 hours at cruising speed
Armament One 7.7 mm flexible gun on rear gun ring
Engine 200/300-hp Mitsubishi Type Hi.


R.Mikesh, A.Shorzoe Japanese Aircraft, 1910-1941 (Putnam)


Navy Type Hansa Reconnaissance Seaplane

  After the First World War, the Japanese Navy received from Germany a Hansa-Brandenburg W 33 reconnaissance seaplane as part of war reparations. By 1922, the Navy decided to adopt this aeroplane as standard equipment and placed orders for their production with Nakajima and Aichi. The original Hansa seaplane, designed by Dr Ernst Heinkel, was considered to be very advanced structurally and have excellent performance. To make it better suited to Japanese needs, modifications were made in the Nakajima production model.
  The Type Hansa was adopted to replace the Navy Type Yokosho Ro-go Ko-gata Reconnaissance Seaplane. This was the Navy's first low-wing ship-based monoplane. They were easily identifiable by their unusual tail configuration, having the vertical surfaces below the tail plane. Pilots who flew these aeroplanes disliked their water-handling because of poor directional control and inadequate downward visibility. They also had other shortcomings.
  These were the first reconnaissance seaplanes to be carried on the battleship Nagato, beginning in 1926. Many remained in Navy service until around 1927 and 1928 when they were replaced with the Yokosho and Nakajima-built Type 14 and Type 15 Reconnaissance Seaplanes.
  When the Hansas became surplus the Ando Aeroplane Research Studio and Japan Air Transport Research Association converted some of them into cabin passenger aircraft with three to five seats.

  Single-engine twin-float low-wing monoplane. Wooden structure with fabric covered wing and tail, with ply-covered fuselage. Crew of two in open cockpits.
  170-210hp Mitsubishi Type Hi twelve-cylinder water-cooled vee engine, driving a two-bladed wooden propeller.
  One dorsal flexible 7.7mm machinegun.
Span 13.57m (44ft 6 1/4in); length 9.287m (30ft 5 1/2in); height 2.996m (9ft 10in); wing area 31.3sq m (336.921 sq ft).
  Empty weight 1,470kg (3,240Ib); loaded weight 2,100kg (4,629Ib); wing loading 67.1kg/sq m (13.7Ib/sq ft); power loading 10.5kg/hp (23.1lb/hp).
  Maximum speed 91 kt (104. 7mph); climb to 3,000m (9,843ft) in 23min; service ceiling 4,500m (14,763ft).
  Approximately 310 built with 160 by Nakajima 1922-25 and 150 by Aichi.


E.Hauke, W.Schroeder, B.Totschinger Die Flugzeuge der k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe und Seeflieger 1914-1918


Kampfflugboote
C.1 Brandenburg W.29 UFAG (R 200) Dm 185

C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 Marine Number 2204 was the prototype; it was photographed at Warnemunde on 4 April 1918 carrying early national markings.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 Marine Number 2292 was photographed at Warnemunde on 9 July 1918 undergoing acceptance tests. It was lost on 10 August when it alighted in Netherlands
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 #2512 was the aircraft of Oblt.z.S. Friedrich Christiansen, OC, Seeflugstation Flandern I at Zeebrugge from July 1918 and carried his personal markings.
J.Herris - Development of German Warplanes in WWI /Centennial Perspective/
This W29 was flown by Oblt.d.R. Friedrich Christiansen, and the letter 'C' in a diamond on a white stripe was his personal marking. He won the Pour le Merite for downing British airship C27. The gunner had an unobstructed field of fire aft due to the unusual design of the tail, and could also fire forward except through the propeller arc.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 #2516 carried an unknown personal marking on the rear fuselage.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
W29 #2516 was flown by Lt. A.R. Hasse and Kpt.Lt.d.R. Bertram from the naval air station at Borkum. It is finished in the standard late-war navy camouflage with reduced size crosses on the fuselage and rudder. The shield is a personal insignia, colors not confirmed.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 #2530, ANNE, was assigned to Seeflugstation Flandern II at Zeebrugge in August-September 1918 and carried an unknown personal marking.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
W29 #2530 ANNIE with standard late-war naval camouflage and a personal insignia on the fuselage side.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 #2532 was assigned to Seeflugstation Nordernay as indicated by the two diagonal stripes on the rear fuselage.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
Brandenburg W29 Marine #2532 displays the standard naval camouflage with the two white fuselage stripes indicating assignment to Norderney.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 #2536 was assigned to Seeflugstation Borkum in late 1918 and wore an unidentified personal marking on the rear fuselage.
В.Обухович, А.Никифоров - Самолеты Первой Мировой войны
Ганза-Бранденбург W 29
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 #2670 was discovered at Warnemunde on 10 Dec. 1918 and shipped to the Isle of Grain for testing. It had standard camouflage and markings with British cockades painted over the German national markings.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
While at the Isle of Grain test facility, W.29 #2670 was completely repainted in full British markings. The overall sea green used caused subsequent researchers to mistakenly assume this color was originally used on the W.29.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This W.29 was operated postwar by the Deutsche Luft Reederie (DLR), a civil airline.
E.Hauke, W.Schroeder, B.Totschinger - Die Flugzeuge der k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe und Seeflieger 1914-1918
Ufag-Brandenburg W.29 C 1 Budapest Oktober 1918
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C1 was the prototype W.29 (UFAG) C.I as photographed in October/November 1918. Only the rudder, in the national colors with crown, added color to the camouflage.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 (UFAG) serial C1 as camouflaged postwar (pattern and colors speculative).
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 (UFAG) serial C3 serving with the postwar Hungarian Communist regime.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 (H.M.1) of the Royal Danish Naval Air Service, early 1920's. There were two aircraft assigned number '24' in Danish service; this appears to be the first one, which was purchased from Germany. It crashed in June 1924; replacement '24' crashed in October 1925.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 (H.M.1) '25' was the first of 15 aircraft built by the Royal Danish Dockyard in the early 1920's.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 (H.M.1) '27' was one of 15 aircraft built by the Royal Danish Dockyard in the early 1920's. The long exhaust was distinctive. This aircraft was lost in a thunderstorm on 12 July 1928 when all three crewmen were thrown out of the aircraft by the extreme turbulence.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 flown post-war by Danish Dansk Luf Rederi.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 "N5" was in Norwegian service in 1921 when photographed with this wheeled undercarriage. Made from spare parts, it crashed 5 March 1921 before being officially registered. Colors are speculative.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29 built under license by Aichi in Japan and serving with the Imperial Japanese Navy. The engine was a license-built 200 hp Hispano Suiza V-8.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The prototype W.29 on the Planer See, before its Marine Number of 2204 was added, 27 March 1918. The gunner's cockpit employs an LVG gun ring and was built up differently from that which was to become standard. The early rudder was to be increased in area. The rudder was cut away at the top for clearance for elevator movement and there are no horn balances on the ailerons.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
More views of the prototype W.29 on the Planer See, 27 March 1918. The early rudder was to be significantly increased in area.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The prototype W.29 with its Marine Nummer 2204 applied, in the configuration in which it was accepted for service and was subject of the SVK drawing for the type. The machine is in the standard color scheme of pre-printed fabric on the upper surface of the wings and tailplane. Fuselage and sides and bottom painted light blue-grey. The turtledeck behind the gunner's cockpit has been painted to match the wing fabric or else pre-printed fabric has been doped to the ply.The curved crosses are marked with a white outline to the fuselage, rudder and probably the top surface of the wings. The underwing crosses are applied to white panels. These photographs were dated 4 April 1918, at Warnemunde.The ailerons are now fitted with balance surfaces.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The prototype W.29 with its Marine Nummer 2204 applied photographed 4 April 1918, at Warnemunde.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Another view of the prototype W.29 photographed 4 April 1918, at Warnemunde. The rudder has been enlarged and horn balances have been added to the ailerons as a result of flight testing.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg and Naval personnel with the prototype W.29. Ernst Heinkel is wearing the coat with fur collar. On his right is Oberleutnant zur See Christiansen, with Karl Heinkel and Ingenieur Schweigert on his left. Christiansen was very impressed with the new fighter.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The early curved crosses were replaced by this thick interim style of national marking per the order of April 1918, a month after the Army had adopted it. The rudder is now painted white. Note the tailplane shape on this, the third prototype, MN 2206. From an examination of photographs it appears that the first batch had a different tailplane from the prototypes. This was less curved than that of the prototypes and closer in shape to the final design. MN 2206 was listed at Norderney naval air station by the Allied Naval Armistice Commission on 7 December 1918. (via AHT AL0087-042)
This overhead 3/4 view of a W.29 shows the new broad lower wing design covered with the Marine Tarnstoff Bespannung (naval camouflage covering fabric) to good effect with the large-sized Balkenkreuz markings on the wings. Allied flying boats had to group together in 3-5 aircraft patrols to provide protection against these aircraft, so effective were they in the fighter role
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 2 - Biplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (2)
A Brandenburg W.29 monoplane leads two W.12 biplanes off from Zeebrugge. The W.29, MN 2209(7), bears the interim national markings while the W.12 biplanes show the interim crosses marked on an all white rudder and white panel on the fuselage. No white can be detected on the wings of the nearest W.12, MN 2037, the crosses having no outline. (AHT AL0064-08A)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Officers and men with 2287. The huge national markings on the wings where the curved crosses were converted to the straight sided cross stands out well in this view.This machine was sent to the Front in early July 1918.
W29 Marine #2287 was the type aircraft for the C2MGHFT version, which carried a wireless transmitter and receiver in addition to the forward-firing gun and flexible gun; it is shown here at Warnemunde. Flight performance was similar to the C3MG version. Marine #2287 was sent to the front the first half of July 1918.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The first production tailplane and elevators may be discerned in these photographs of MN 2292 at the SWC test center at Warnemunde while undergoing acceptance trials on 9 July 1918. Note the wire frame on the fuselage side near at the rear cockpit that was the support for a wireless dynamo for this C2MGHFT machine. Dutch records note that W.29 MN 2292 alighted near Rottumeroog at 09.00 on 10 August 1918, and it was destroyed by another twin-engined German aircraft when it could not tow the machine back to international waters.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W 29 with Marine number 2292.
Jane's All The World Aircraft 1919 /Jane's/
Side view of the Brandenburg W.29 Sea Monoplane.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W29 Marine #2292 was from the first production batch. The first production batch were category C2MGHFT and the mount for the wind-driven dynamo is seen on the side of the observer's cockpit.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
In 1979 the Thorpe Park leisure and educational center opened and adopted an aeronautical theme with full-sized, non-flying reproductions of marine aircraft of which one was this W.29 monoplane. Its eventual fate is unknown.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This W.29 appears to be 2512 from what can be discerned of the Marine Nummer. Christiansen is in the cockpit and it bears his personal insignia and early production tailplane. The observer has a Parabellum 14/17 light machine gun with an (Oigee) telescopic sight mounted in the production style cockpit with gun ring.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
An aerial view of a W.29 over Borkum showing Brandenburg and Friedrichshafen biplanes on the dock, lifting cranes, and hangars. The detail shows the W.29 of Christiansen. The "C" in diamond was Christiansen's personal emblem and was taken from his W.12 biplanes to his new W.29 monoplanes, here shown on MN 2512.The original caption states that the photograph was taken in 1917. (via AHT AL0354-00 & 001a)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
A.Imrie - German Naval Air Service /Arms & Armour/
Christiansen in Brandenburg W29 2512 (left) over the naval air station at Kiel-Holtenau en route to Zeebrugge. As soon as aircraft of this type had passed their acceptance trials, Christiansen journeyed to Warnemunde with his crews and flew the machines to Zeebrugge. The first five seaplanes collected in this manner landed at Zeebrugge on 1 July 1918 and were used operationally the following morning.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Christiansen's W.29 leads another W.29 over the coast. (AHT AL0825-030A)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Two crewmen of Seeflugstation Flanders II posing against their W.29 MN 2530 on the breakwater at Zeebrugge. The individual emblem is a crowned eagle's head on a bisected two-colored shield. The name "Anne" is attached by means of a small plaque to the nose. This machine was found at Borkum by the Allied Naval Armistice Commission on 8 December 1918.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 MN 2532 piloted by Boninger. This machine has the late style narrow cross national markings, the original fuselage cross has been over-painted leaving a light panel background to the cross on the fuselage. The white stripes indicated the machine came from Nordeney naval air station.
W29 Marine #2532 from Norderney (indicated by the two identification stripes on the aft fuselage) on patrol over the North Sea. Like #2532, most W29s were category C3MG and had two fixed machine guns for the pilot. If a wireless transmitter and receiver were installed, the pilot had only one fixed gun to avoid over-loading the aircraft and reducing its performance. The Brandenburgs were at their most vulnerable when taking off and landing, and since they were based near the front there was always the possibility that they would be attacked by land-based fighters of the Royal Naval Air Service or, after the RNAS and RFC were combined on April 1, 1918, the former RNAS units now part of the RAF. That was why the naval aircrews adopted the tactic of taking off and landing in formation, and maintaining a stepped vee formation in flight with clear fields of fire for all the gunners. Without the handicap of floats the British fighters, mostly Sopwith Camels, had the advantages of speed, climb, and maneuverability, so formation flying for mutual defense was a priority for the crews.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 MN 2536 displays the late narrow form of national marking without any sign of over-painting. These markings were adopted on 19 June 1918, and continued in use until the end of the war. The personal emblem appears to be a stylised (Christmas?) tree. This machine appears to have the late tailplane and elevators.This W.29 was recorded at Borkum in the information provided to the Allied Naval Armistice Commission.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 monoplanes 2580 and 2583 in damaged condition together with two Friedrichshafen FF49 biplanes in the background, (via AHT AL0225-59)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
In this photograph 2580 appears to be undergoing repairs but 2583 has suffered a major crash. Both these machines were in Shed D at Wilhelmshaven and recorded on the station on 6 December 1918, by the Allied Naval Armistice Commission. These were captioned "the last ones" in the original captions. (via AHT AL0225-71)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Another view of the fuselage of 2583. This damage may have been imposed in order to render the aircraft unflyable under the terms of the Peace Treaty. Original caption "Auf Befehlder Entente." Note the brass tips to the airscrew. (via AHT AL0353-21)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This photograph is unusual in that the original caption states that it was taken in Germany in 1920. The machine bears its full naval and national markings but is unarmed. It is known that this machine was used for discovering the location of minefields for their removal. MN 2598 is shown with what appears to be an Italian flying boat. The original caption identifies the location as Wilhelmshaven. This machine was reported as unassembled at Wilhelmshaven back from the Flanders Front on 6 December 1918. Note that the rudder appears to lack the cross insignia, (via AHT AL0225-76)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
"Flugmstr. Hess." The original caption states that it was taken in Germany in 1920. W.29 MN 2617 with naval personnel in uniform. Note the lack of armament. MN 2617 was at Wilhelmshaven on 6 December 1918, fitted with a 150-hp Mercedes motor according to the Allied Naval Armistice Commission. (via AHT AL0255-78)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 MN 2622 "Holstein, Germany." Again the original caption states that it was taken in Germany in 1920 and the rudder appears to lack the cross national marking. MN 2622 was at Norderney post Armistice. (via AHT AL0225-75)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This W.29 MN 265X (possibly 2655) was fitted with a 245-hp Maybach Mb.lVa engine as an experiment. Testing of this version reported that the machine was easier to fly than the 150-hp model but was not as manoeuvrable.The aircraft in this batch were delivered in November 1918. The tachometer was mounted in front of the windscreen in order that the pilot could watch his revs and maintain correct revolutions to allow for the correct operation of his synchronised machine guns.
Jane's All The World Aircraft 1919 /Jane's/
A front view of the Brandenburg W.29 Sea Monoplane of late 1918.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
An early W.29 on the ramp at Warnemunde displays the shape of the early elevators. Aerodynamic interference between the tailplane and the elevator balance led to the tailplane being modified.The tailplane was built into the fuselage and could not be easily changed for another of a different shape. It appears from photographs that the horizontal tailplane was cut back to enable the elevator balance to operate freely in the air stream. Later aircraft from 2565 were delivered with a new tailplane that had the elevator balances free. The compass faring together with the anemometer speed indicator on the port wing, and the wing walks on each wing root, can be clearly seen. (AHT AL0225-02)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Pilots Schreiber, Bibels, and Lehmann are mentioned in the original caption but are not identified in the photograph. The hand rails and footsteps around the engine compartment are clearly visible. Airscrews usually had brass covered tips to reduce spray erosion. The rear of the hangar is stacked with old floats and wings. (via AHT AL0225-74)
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
Mechanics work on the fixed pilot's guns on this W29.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Running up a W.29 on the hard stand at a naval sea station. Note the exhaust pipes and radiator shape. (via AHT AL001-05)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Officers Stormer and Sonsalla pose with a W.29 as background. Note that the weighted radio aerial falls outside on the starboard side of the fuselage and not through the floor. The dark color of the floats is probably due to their finish of bituminous waterproofing paint.The machine to the right is MN 2130.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Loading pigeons and bombs on a W.29. Pigeons were used by all sides in the war to carry messages, especially for naval airmen who could come down at sea without any method of sending a wireless message once on the surface.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W29s operating with German warships in the North Sea.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Three Brandenburg W29s of Christiansen's IC Staffellanding back at Zeebrugge. The Mole, a mile-long 80yd-wide curved breakwater of solid concrete, jutted out into the sea and afforded the necessary protection to the twin piers (seen in the background) that guarded the entrance to the inner basins and the Bruges Canal. Seaplane operations took place in this sheltered area, and regardless of the state of the outer sea, it was unusual if seaplanes could not operate when required.
Based so close to the front lines, the Brandenburgs normally took off and landed in formation to provide mutual protection against attack by British fighters. Here Oblt.z.S. Christiansen takes off in his Marine #2512 in the background.
H.Cowin - Aviation Pioneers /Osprey/
In all, 80 of these Hansa-Brandenburg W 29s were to be delivered to the navy between December 1917 and July 1918, when production switched to the far higher powered W 33. Initially powered by a 150hp Benz Bz III, later built W 29s had the up-rated 185hp Benz Bz IIIa, giving this two seat reconnaissance fighter a top level speed of 109mph. Climb to 3,280 feet took 5.9 minutes and the W 29's patrol duration was a respectable 4 hours. The twin white diagonal bands on the rear fuselage of this W 29 identify it as belonging to the Starboard Watch of the Norderney naval flying station.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
A Brandenburg W29 with two identification bands painted on its rear fuselage flies over a base, mostly likely Nordeney. The two bands signify Norderney as the naval air station to which the aircraft was assigned.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
"Lt. Mouvikmeyeer in flight." The engine of this machine exhausts to port. (via AHT AL0087-049)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29 from below showing the late tailplane and elevators. (via AHT AL0225-36)
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
Two W.29 floatplanes from Nordeney in flight. Note the lack of white outline to the underwing crosses. While the wing crosses are the late style the fuselage cross is still the interim type.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W.29 monoplanes on patrol with a Brandenburg W.12. The W.29 and W.12 machines have all had their large interim type crosses painted out and the final narrow crosses painted over. On the original print the grey over-painting may be made out.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 2 - Biplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (2)
Brandenburg monoplanes and biplanes often flew sorties together. Note how the old wing crosses have been altered to the late narrow type in a more refined manner on the W.12's wings compared with the W.29. (AHT AL0588-015)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Two W29s and a W19 photographed from another Brandenburg patrol over the North Sea in summer 1918.
Longer-range W19s would frequently patrol with W12s and W29s, which sometimes waited on the surface until the W19 found a target and returned to lead the flight to it.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
On these W.29 machines the two white bands are separated by a dark (black/red?) band. On the original the number "N 43" may be made out forward of the fuselage cross. This is presumed to be a Nordeney base number. These machines have the late style national markings on all surfaces, (via AHT AL0064-06)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
A flight of W.29 fighters with the Norderney fuselage stripes.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
Two formations of Brandenburgs hunt over the North Sea. Brandenburgs often patrolled in formations of five aircraft; the trailing aircraft in the formation in the lower photo took the photo of the others.
Fighting seaplanes operated alone initially, but the emergence of Allied formations over the sea and the example provided by the fighter formation work in the German Army Air Service led to the establishment of the 'C-Staffeln' which operated in strengths of 3, 5 or 7 machines. These units did not confine themselves to pure aerial fighting but undertook reconnaissance work in all its forms. This is a C-Staffel of five Brandenburg W29 monoplanes from Borkum, identified by the white oblique band carried on the fuselage ahead of the tail unit.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.12 biplane inflight with W.29 monoplanes, (via AHT AL0354-068)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
An Albatros Scout flies as top cover for a W.29. (via AHT AL0087-051)
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
A W29 of Zeebrugge's 1-C.Staffel strafes Felixstowe No.4305 after it was forced down on July 31, 1918.
Christiansen had confirmed the following victories over seven of the large America flying boats, all in 1918. Curtiss H.12B N4338, 15 February 1918. Curtiss H.8 8677, 24 April. Curtiss H.12, 25 April. Felixstowe F.2A N5433, 4 June. N5433 had landed and was taxing towards shore when set on fire. Felixstowe F.2A N4297 and N4540, both on 4 July 1917. N4297 was forced down but not lost and N4540 was only shot up. Felixstowe F.2A N4305, 31 July. Some of these victories were shared. He also had ships that were sunk or captured in his total score.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
A W29 attacks British Submarine C25 which was caught on the surface on 6 July 1918. Armed only with machine guns, the Brandenburgs penetrated the pressure hull, preventing the submarine from safely submerging. Their gunfire killed the captain and five crewmen and damaged the submarine so badly it was forced to return to port for repairs. For this action Oblt.z.S. Friedrich Christiansen was credited for a victory over C25.
A.Imrie - German Naval Air Service /Arms & Armour/
On 6 July 1918 Christiansen's IC Staffel flying five W29 monoplanes caught the British submarine C-25 on the surface off the British coast and immediately attacked it. During the action some 5,000 machine-gun rounds were fired at the boat and it was sufficiently disabled to prevent its being able to submerge. By now out of ammunition, the W29s were forced to return to Zeebrugge. During this action Leutnant Ehrhardt was able to secure some remarkable photographs; this one taken over the pilot's shoulder shows the low altitude used on the seaplanes's firing passes.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Close-up of the nose of a Brandenburg W29 showing details of radiator, cowling and the forward-firing LMG 08 with its ammunition chute. The instability of phosphorus cartridges caused the weapons section of the SVK to investigate the internal ammunition stowages on forward-firing seaplane guns. It was found that the W29 installation raised the temperature of the ammunition by 15°C due to the proximity of the engine mass. At outside air temperatures of 25°C the final temperature was sufficiently below the 50° danger point that induced spontaneous combustion of the unreliable cartridges, and the W29 was given a clean bill of health.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The German civil airline Deutsche Luft Reederei (DLR) operated at least one W.29 postwar. The machine was still in its wartime colors with the crosses removed and the German postal flag and the company's logo painted on the fuselage. Armament was removed and the gun ports faired over with sheet metal as can be seen in the photographs. The curved radiator is noteworthy.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The German civil airline Deutsche Luft Reederei (DLR) operated at least one W.29 postwar. The machine was still in its wartime colors with the crosses removed and the German postal flag and the company's logo painted on the fuselage. Armament was removed and the gun ports faired over with sheet metal as can be seen in the photographs.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Marine Nummer 2670 in British hands post-war. Seven Brandenburg floatplanes were taken to the Isle of Grain, one being delivered ini 920 from a number that were completed post-war in violation of the Armistice terms. This particular machine was found by the Allied Naval Armistice Commission at Warnemunde on 14 December 1918, and taken to the British Isle of Grain test center where it is illustrated. The machine is in full German camouflage and national markings with small British cockades to the wings. Note that the machine is unarmed and a pitot has been fitted to the port wing.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
MN 2670 was repainted while at the MAEE. The German national markings were replaced on the fuselage and rudder with the British roundel and the Marine Nummer was given a white outline. The wing roundels were increased in size. It is thought that this over-painting may have led to the incorrect recording that Brandenburg seaplanes were painted in sea green.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
W29 Marine Number 2670 under evaluation in the UK post-war. The front view shows the strikingly clean lines of the W29 that gave the type its additional speed compared to the W12.
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
Brandenburg W 33 (W29 ???)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Marine Nummer 2670 in British hands post-war. Seven Brandenburg floatplanes were taken to the Isle of Grain, one being delivered in 1920 from a number that were completed post-war in violation of the Armistice terms.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Before test flight, Budapest, 25 October 1918, W,29 (U) bears the serial C.1 on the fuselage and displays the final form of tailplane and elevators. The machine guns were enclosed on the Austro-Hungarian version.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Poor photograph of the C.1. There are no rudder markings at this time. Note the gun ring with wind balancing vane.
Built by UFAG, it was designated the W29(U) and assigned the Austro-Hungarian naval serial C1.The pointed radiator was typical for aircraft fitted with a 185 hp Austro-Daimler engine. Fairings on the side of the fuselage enclose the pilot's guns. First flight was on 25 Oct. 1918, too late to see combat.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C.1 photographed at Csepel Island in October 1918. The radiator was typical of those used by the Austro-Hungarians on the 185-hp Austro-Daimler engine.
E.Hauke, W.Schroeder, B.Totschinger - Die Flugzeuge der k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe und Seeflieger 1914-1918
The first UFAG W.29 (U) (Naval C1) on the Danube 5 October 1918. The only national markings are the Austro-Hungarian naval stripes and shield on the rudder. The serial "C.1" was carried only on the starboard side.
Seeflugzeug R 200. Type Brandenburg W.29, Keszthely am Balaton, Oktober 1918, Einfliegen durch UFAG-Personal
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This machine in Hungarian Red markings, is confirmed as C.3 by the serial marked on the floats. The machine is doped a dark color on the top surfaces with red star insignia. Summer 1919.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
A flight of Danish license-built W29s, called H.M.1s, of the 1st Luftflotilie, over Copenhagen in May 1925. The W29 had a long and successful post-war career in Denmark and Norway.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
An H.M.1 in flight in the early overall grey color scheme with white serials. Floats appear to be naturally varnished.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Ground crew pose with H.M.1 No.21. The first No.21 was received in June 1921 and crashed on 3 August 1922. The second No.21 was received on 14 July 1923 and survived until 29 August 1927, when it crashed at Oresund. It had 509.55 hours flight time when written off. The serial was repeated under the lower wings on each side in very large black numerals.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
H.M.1 No.23 at anchor displays the Danish red and white roundel to the wings and the naval ensign to the rudder.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The first H.M.1 No.24 crashed in June 1924, it was replaced by a new No.24 on 12 November 1924, this later machine lasting until 8 October 1925 when it crashed at Skarridse. The serial application is different from the others illustrated as are the red and white rudder stripes.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The Danish Navy used its H.M.1 floatplanes from ships, here No.25 is being hoisted aboard.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
No.27 in the late all aluminium finish being hoisted aboard. This machine crashed over Copenhagen on 12 July 1928. All three occupants were thrown out in a thunderstorm as they were not harnessed in.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Persistent stability problems with the H.M.1 Danish version of the W.29 were finally overcome in 1925 by the introduction of large elevators. No.29 has the late elevator area increase and the long exhaust pipe modifications introduced during the H.M.1's service life. This unarmed aircraft is seen at Copenhagen naval air station. The machine was lost on 14 June 1927, but the crew were all saved.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This poor quality but interesting photo shows a W.29 that was flown by Gerharf Hubrich for Dansk Luf Rederi in Denmark postwar. The stripes were dark red and white.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Close-up of the nose of an H.M.1 showing the installation of the synchronised Vickers gun. Note the Cellon panel in the floor of the pilot's cockpit hanging open.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
This H.M.1 has suffered major damage to its float. Note the way the walkway is marked on the floats.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Construction of a Danish H.M.1 at the Royal Dockyards. This is one of the few photographs showing the Brandenburg construction method of a wooden frame without wire bracing, the ply covering giving the required strength to the structure.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
W29 in Norwegian service postwar. The W29 and W33 enjoyed long, successful postwar careers in Nordic countries.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The sole civil Norwegian W.29 with its land undercarriage. It bears the civil registration N-5 but crashed before this was officially registered.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The installation of a vee-eight engine gave the Japanese Navy's version of the Brandenburg W.29, the Hansa-Model Reconnaissance Seaplane, a pugnacious look! The machine appears to have a gun ring based on the British Scarff type. The aircraft is thought to be doped light grey overall with white outlined Hinomaru national markings, white rudder with serial marked thereon.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
The serial is repeated on the fuselage of this Japanese Hansa.
R.Mikesh, A.Shorzoe - Japanese Aircraft, 1910-1941 /Putnam/
Navy Type Hansa Reconnaissance Seaplane.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
A civil Japanese W.29 of the Ando Aircraft Institute.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
German Marine cadets with recovered wrecked W.29 in original style national insignia at Zeebrugge, 23 October 1917. Unfortunately the Marine Nummer cannot be determined, (via AHT AL0354-014)
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29 seaplane fighters from Seeflugstation Norderney on their take-off run, Summer 1918.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
Race for Life. This striking painting by Steve Anderson depicts the action on August 11, 1918 when Brandenburg fighters attacked six British Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs) operating against German minesweepers. Three of the MTBs were sunk and the remaining three were damaged so badly they beached themselves in neutral Holland to avoid sinking. Brandenburg W19 Marine #2249 shown here was one of the fighters that sank an MTB.
J.Herris - German Seaplane Fighters of WWI /Centennial Perspective/
A pair of Brandenburg W29s sink a sloop carrying contraband to Holland.
E.Hauke, W.Schroeder, B.Totschinger - Die Flugzeuge der k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe und Seeflieger 1914-1918
Brandenburg W.29
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
W.Green, G.Swanborough - The Complete Book of Fighters
Essentially a monoplane derivative of the W 12 biplane, the W 29 was produced in time to serve with the German Navy from 1918.
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29 SVK Drawing
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29 Factory Drawing
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29
C.Owers - Hansa-Brandenburg Aircraft of WWI. Volume 3 - Monoplane Seaplanes /Centennial Perspective/ (3)
Brandenburg W.29