Книги

Putnam
O.Thetford
British Naval Aircraft since 1912
155

O.Thetford - British Naval Aircraft since 1912 /Putnam/

Bristol Scout D(No.8980) of the RNAS with 100 hp Mono-Gnome and small ailerons..
An RNAS 1 1/2 Strutter (No.9393) of the Sopwith-built batch 9376 to 9425.
Single-seat Type 9700s of NO.5 Wing. RNAS.
A 1 1/2 Strutter undergoing flotation tests with inflatable air bags.
1 1/2 Strutter takes off from a gun-turret platform.
1 1/2 Strutter (F2211) flies from HMS Argus.
Pup (No.3691) of Naval 'A' Squadron. Dunkirk. May 1916.
A Pup takes off from HMS Yarmouth.
Pup (N6438) lands on Furious in April 1918.
Beardmore-built Pup No.9922 with skids and early arrester gear.
Having acclaimed the Pup's daintiness, it is needful here to pre-empt the question 'Whatever happened?' by explaining that the specimen is that described in the text as Pup with sprung skids and short, underslung, forwardly located arrester hook'.
Triplane (N6290) of No.8 (Naval) Squadron.
Sopwith F.l. Camels of No.10 (Naval) Squadron seen on the Western Front in 1918.
No.2 Wing, RNAS at Imbros in 1915: the aeroplanes are Henry Farman F.27s and Nieuport 10 two-seaters.
Nieuport 12 (9233) built by Beardmore.
The photograph shows a Spad S.7 with a RNAS serial number (N3399).
The Caproni Ca 42, powered by three 400hp Isotta-Fraschini, or Libertys, was the last and the heaviest of the Caproni triplane bombers to be produced. Delivered in early 1918, these five-man machines carried up to 3.910lb of bombs in a central housing attached to the lower wing. Top level speed of the Ca 42 was 87mph at 6.560 feet, while its defensive armament consisted of five Ravelli machine guns. Over 20 of these mammoth triplanes were built, the machine seen here carrying the British serial no N 527, being the second of six Ca 42s operated by the RNAS for a period during 1918.
Avro 504A of the type used in the RNAS raid on the Zeppelin sheds. 1914.
Avro 504C (No.1488) of the RNAS at St Pol.
One of the ten Avro 504E (No.9277) of the RNAS.
Avro 504K with 100 hp Gnome Monosoupape.
An Eagle VIII-powered D.H.4, N5997, of No 202 Squadron at Bergues in 1918, wearing highly individual markings. This example was of the first Westland-built batch for the RNAS, having been completed before the decision was taken to raise the observer s gun ring. Note the forward Vickers guns.
Caudron G.4 of the RNAS.
Morane Parasol (No.3253) flown by Warneford with French roundels.
Henry Farman F.22. (F.20?)
By 1915 the war had broadened its geographical coverage to include the Mediterranean and Africa. With the Allied campaign in the eastern Mediterranean and Dardanelles came the requirement for air involvement. though this was never on a large scale. Here a Farman F.27 of 3 Wing RNAS is being prepared at Mudros (on the island of Limnos) in 1915.
No.2 Wing, RNAS at Imbros in 1915: the aeroplanes are Henry Farman F.27s and Nieuport 10 two-seaters.
Maurice Farman Shorthorn (N6310) of the RNAS
A Beardmore W.B.III leaves the steep forward launching platform of HMS Pegasus in 1918.
D. H.6A of No.242 Squadron. Newhaven.
Following the earlier temporary modification of N10 to landplane form, this version went into production as the IIIA with a Sunbeam Maori engine.
F.2A flying-boat N4297 from Felixstowe made practicable by Lieut.-Col. John Porte, photographed from another boat
Патрульные самолеты Феликстоу окрашивались очень пестро
The Felixstowe flying boats gave valuable service around the shores ol the UK in a variety of roles. but primarily on anti-submarine patrols. This aircraft, N4545. arrived at Felixstowe in July 1918 and joined 230 Squadron, which, in August, farmed out of the Antisubmarine Patrol unit.
An R.A.F. Flying-Boat of Lieut.-Col. Porte's design, and known as the Felixstowe F2a Type, built by various companies. Dazzle-painted, in accordance with Naval custom.
F.2A flying-boats on the slipway at a coastal air station of the RNAS.
F.3 (N4230) built by Dick. Kerr & Co Ltd.
This photograph of a Parnall Panther aboard HMS Argus illustrates well the longitudinal arrester wires, the hinged wooden flaps mounted transversely, the hooks on the axle and the forward hydrovane. The period was 1919-20.
Panther (N7511) with non-standard oleo undercarriage.
Short Type 184 (N 1091) with 240 hp Renault. built by Short Brothers.
Short 184 Dover Type (N 1098) with 260 hp Sunbeam and nose radiator, built by Short Brothers.
Short Improved 184 (N 1631) with 260 hp Sunbeam, built by Phoenix.
A particularly good flying picture of a Short Type 184.
Designed for reconnaissance duties, the two-seat Sopwith Admiralty Type 807 seaplane emerged in 1914. Powered by a 100hp Gnome Monosoupape, the machine had a top level speed of 80mph at sea level. Serial no 807, seen here, was the first of these aircraft delivered to the RNAS, their serial nos being 807-810 and 919-926. Both 920 and 921 arrived in East Africa on 21 February 1915, where despite being adversely affected by the climate, they played a part in the ultimate destruction of the German cruiser, Konigsberg, on 11 July 1915.
The first Sopwith B.l, still carrying the manufacturers' stencil on its fin, and apparently without a serial number on the white rectangle forward of the tailplane, having its compass swung - essential when loaded with bombs - with No 5 (Naval) Squadron, RNAS, at
Petite Synthe on 16 May 1917. The unpainted rectangle immediately aft of the cockpit is the upper hatch of the bomb bay. Note the Lewis gun on the front fuselage decking, added during the Service trials.
Baby (N2071) of No.229 Squadron, Great Yarmouth.
Tabloid number 326 was flown briefly by No 4 Squadron Royal Flying Corps. This Tabloid is unarmed and is used in the reconnaissance role
FRANCO-BRITISH AVIATION TYPE C
The Tellier boat N85 is illustrated in special camouflage whilst undergoing trials at the Isle of Grain.
Curtiss H.4 Small America (No.3592).
Curtiss H.12 Large America (No.8681).
Curtiss H.16 Large America (No.4060).
Early Short S.27 fitted with E.N.V. engine.
Short S.27 with 50 h.p. Gnome engine and extended wings heralded the start of the company's long and mutually beneficial relationship with the Admiralty's air arm.
Bristol Military Boxkite with 50 h.p. Gnome.
The Bleriot Type XI-2 Artillerie, as its name implies, was employed on reconnaissance for the artillery and entered service with the French and Italians during 1911. At the outbreak of war, this 70hp Gnome-engined two seater was in service with the French, Britain's RFC and RNAS, Belgium and Italy. Its relatively meagre top level speed of 66mph at sea level was no great problem at a time when effective anti-aircraft artillery or fighters were yet to make an appearance, while its 3.5 hour endurance provided a useful time aloft.
A modified Short S.27 pusher biplane on the launching ramp of HMS Hibernia in May 1912.
An early Admiralty Type 74, No 76, without folding wings; this type was adapted in 1915 to carry up to a pair of 112 lb bombs.
Short S.87 (RNAS No.136) was one of two machines built in 1914 with Sunbeam engines.
The photograph shows the first of the Westland-built Type 166 seaplanes on the Hamble River in 1916.
SHORT (140 hp SALMSON) SEAPLANE. Ten seaplanes of this type were built, Nos.9781 to 9790, and No.9790 is illustrated.
An Admiralty Type 827 off the German East African coast, probably one of those sent to Mombasa in July 1915 for operations against the Konigsberg in the Rufiji delta.
AT THE NEW YORK AERO SHOW. - The Curtiss R4.
Short Type 320 (N1498) built by Short Brothers.
Both guns are clearly installed on the Beardmore-built N7136, seen here at Dalmuir. Note also the external elevator-control cables, running from the lever just behind the fuselage joint.
The picture is of Lt S.D. Culley, RN, during the first successful tow lighter demonstration, made on 31 July 1918. Here it should be recalled that Cdr Samson had nearly lost his life attempting this feat some weeks earlier, when his Camel snagged some ties during launch.
A reminder that the 2F.1 Camel was developed essentially for Naval use with seaborne forces, and epitomising also the glorious victory by Lieut Stuart Culley over Zeppelin L53 just before the Armistice, as described in the text. (A reminder also that although the 2F.1 was operated from 'real' aircraft-carriers it was not a true deck-landing aircraft, as were its successors, though like other Sopwiths, it helped to show the way).